Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr_mystic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Tax status- student-OPT-H1-india
    Hello Gurus,

I came to US in July 2001 on F1.I have filed the 1040 NR and 8843 for tax years 2001-2005.

I have been on CPT (still F1 but working for an employer outside university) from 2006 June until March 14th 2007. When I filed for taxes in 2007 for the year of 2006, I filed just the 1040. I was taxed ssn and medicare taxes starting my employment in June 2006 until Dec 2006 where I was on F1 and CPT.

Now to complicate things further, my OPT began on march 15th and lasted until Oct 1. I was on part-time CPT from jan 1,2007 to March 15th,2007 and was taxed ssn and medicare.

Now I am on H1 from Oct 1 onwards.

My question is

For they year 2006 and part of 2007, am I subject to ssn and medicare taxes as I pass the substantial presence test or am I exempt due to the tax treaty between india and US?

Thanks in advance,
    Sri
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 9, 2007, 07:40 AM
    While you are on F-1, you are EXEMPT from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

You can file Form 843 to request a refund of these taxes. Your visa status (F-1) is key.
    mr_mystic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    While you are on F-1, you are EXEMPT from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

You can file Form 843 to request a refund of these taxes. Your visa status (F-1) is key.
    Hmm.. independent of how long I am on F-1?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
    There IS a limit of five years under the F-1 visa.

Assuming you were under the F-1 for at least ONE day in 2007, you must have arrived in the U.S. on or after 1 January 2003 under your F-1 visa to retain your tax-exempt status for 2007.

If you arrived in the U.S. on your F-1 visa ANYTIME in 2002, your tax-exempt status under the F-1 visa expired on 31 December 2006. If this is the case, you would be liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes for 2007 irrespective of your F-1 visa status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax return with married status , wife in India [ 7 Answers ]

Hi , I am on H1 visa and will be going to India to get married in Dec2007. I will be returing in feb but my wife will join me In march. My question are as follows 1> I am getting married in last month of 2007 and also my wife not be coming to US in year 2007 , Will I be able to file Taxes...

F1 student tax status after 5 years [ 3 Answers ]

I am from India. I have been a F1 student for more than 5 years now. As I understand I am a resident for tax purposes. What all forms should I file for 2006 returns. I know I can't file 1040NR anymore. Also, will I be eligible for US-INDIA tax treaty anymore. I live in Nebraska Thanks...

F1 student status tax information [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody, My name is Vinay Mandora. I came to USA in August on F1 visa. I want to file my federal state tax return but I am not able to find any software which provides help in preparing federal tax return. 1) Can tuition and student fees be claimed as deduction? 2) What is amount of...

Foreign f-1 student tax status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a full-time graduate student from Turkey. I have been living in the US for 7 months. I get a tuition scholarship and a bı-weekly stipend to cover my living expenses. How much federal income tax should I be paying over my stipend? Thank you Ferit

View more questions Search