Chico, bites his labs on the ankles and draws blood. He does this
    Constantly no matter what we do to correct him. Even the shock collar
    Didn't phase him. Chico is 1 1/2 years. His basic training went fine. We
    Had hoped he would hurd our pygmy goats, but he is too aggressive there
    Too and has mutilated one's ear and bloody's their legs with bites. I
    Would like to mis-direct him to frisbee dog instead of herder if
    Possible, but mostly I have to get him to stop the ankle biting before my
    Husband relocates him.''

Training a dog to avoid a behavior when you aren't there is tough. When you are around I suggest giving the dog a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' to interrupt it and divert it with a chew toy. Even if he knows his obedience, he may still not see where he should fit in the pack. He is neutered? The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

If the dogs are loose outside by themselves, the above isn't likely to help. I doubt you will want to keep him shut up when you can't watch him either, which is another thing I frequently suggest. You could try a private trainer. I don't know if even a good one could solve this.

I support site rules discouraging asking and answering questions by email.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Labman, frankly this sounds like an improperly bred dog. This heeler is doing what comes naturally, herding the other animals, but his aggressiveness in his herding is much more intense than it should be. Unless this person gets hands on training help from someone who has a good working knowledge of how to train herding dogs, it is just going to get worse. She needs to speak with her vet about recommendations for a working dog trainer in her area. If her vet doesn't have a clue, he/she may be able to speak with another vet in the area whose practice covers farm animals. That vet will know what people have had success with training their herders. If she strikes out, she needs to do a little research to find a reputable breeder of heelers that can help her. The best place to start with that would be the AKC website's listing of approved Heeler breeders.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Good to have you back. Likely you are right about needing the specific herding training experience.
    kwood7179 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    From an email:

''My husband is going to give my dog away and I am frantic. My Heeler,
    Chico, bites his labs on the ankles and draws blood. He does this
    constantly no matter what we do to correct him. Even the shock collar
    didn't phase him. Chico is 1 1/2 years. His basic training went fine. We
    had hoped he would hurd our pygmy goats, but he is too aggressive there
    too and has mutilated one's ear and bloody's their legs with bites. I
    would like to mis-direct him to frisbee dog instead of herder if
    possible, but mostly I have to get him to stop the ankle biting before my
    husband relocates him.''

Training a dog to avoid a behavior when you aren't there is tough. When you are around I suggest giving the dog a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' to interrupt it and divert it with a chew toy. Even if he knows his obedience, he may still not see where he should fit in the pack. He is neutered? The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

If the dogs are loose outside by themselves, the above isn't likely to help. I doubt you will want to keep him shut up when you can't watch him either, which is another thing I frequently suggest. You could try a private trainer. I don't know if even a good one could solve this.

I support site rules discouraging asking and answering questions by email.
    Biting on the heels is instinctive in blue heelers. I would Google training blue heelers. There was a tape course that costs a bit but is directed specifically at blue heelers. Fortunately I don't have the heel biting problem with Diggity. But she is an aggressive herder. I don't want to have to buy that course (a little less than $50) but if you're going to have to give up your dog, this guy seemed to know his blue heeler stuff. His name is Dan Rankin. Examples are scolding, hitting, & punishing doesn't work with blue heelers. They crave love. I've been pretty successful being the dominant one with Diggity but haven't been successful with training her not to bark at other dogs on the leash. I'm planning to ask that question because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for the course. I do believe that training Australian Cattle Dogs requires some different techniques than with other dogs. Good luck. Hope you don't have to give up your dog. How about giving up your husband :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Blue heeler biting/jumping [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 5 month old blue heeler/golden retriever female, spayed 1 week ago. She spends all her time outside--occasionally allowed inside. She had a very hard time biting and chewing several weeks ago, but by using vinegar spray, we've been fairly successful controlling that. However, she...

Toys for Labs [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I will first start by saying this is a great site for information. I need some suggestions for toys for my 6 month old lab. We have a rope toy and a plush sqeaky toy and a Nylabone. We have gone to Petcetera (we live in Canada) and only see really $$$ stuffed animals. We have Kongs but we...

Blue heeler mix [ 1 Answers ]

I have mixed breed male and female puppies (1 each) and think that their temperament is primarily blue heeler. Any training tricks (I've seen the NO negative training)?

How much do newborn labs usually weigh? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Megan. My Lab just finished whelping her litter of 11 today 06/11/2007. We have puppies ranging from 11 oz. to 1lb 1 oz. I would like to know if there is a specific range of newborn weight that pertains to Labradors. Thank you!!:)

3 black labs tear up backyard [ 3 Answers ]

Well I have a small chicago backyard--i have 3 black labs that play--they are puppies--they have distroyed the backyard--as it is all mud--they are 9 months old now--still terrible--but should I seed--they like to dig holes in the back also--should I just put gravel out? This might cause problems...

View more questions Search