Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbeard33 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Venting Basement Sump Pit
    First a little background. I'm finishing a bathroom in my basement that was roughed in while the house was being built. I have a sump-pit that needs to be vented. Due to hvac and plumbing obstructions, I will need to extend the plumber provided vent pipe from the floor above a few inches below the floor joist and elbow to the next joist over so that I can connect the sump pit vent pipe. This will produce a situation where the vent from the sump will make a drop down into the existing vent and back up again. Sort of an oversized p-trap.

Will this work? I have included a rudimentary diagram for a little more clarity.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2005, 01:45 PM
    I've looked at your diagram. You just can't trap a vent and especially a holding tank vent. This vent has to vent both in and out so a AAV,(air admittance valve) is out of the question. Reconfigure the vent and eliminate the trap. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement venting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a manufactured home with a full basement. The basement has a bath area built in, but not complete. The ceiling is not yet installed. I can see the main drain pipe which runs horizontially along the interior of the out side wall. Another main drain pipe runs down from this to the floor of...

Basement shower venting [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here but a long time DIY'er. I'd like to know how would a basement shower drain be vented, when it is buried in the ground? What I mean is what would be the standard connections? Would you use a wye after the drain trap, with the other outlet connected to the vent line, or should the...

Basement Venting [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved into a year old home that has an unfinished basement. There are rough-ins for a toilet, shower and sink already in place. My questions is what venting needs to be added for these rough-ins or are these vented through the existing plumbing already (or how can I tell)?

Venting basement laundry [ 2 Answers ]

I'm moving my basement laundry, and the kitchen sink/dishwasher above (they share a drain line). I don't think the current setup is correct, and I would like to try to make it correct when I move the drain. Currently... My house was built in the 1920s. It has a single vent stack(?) that...

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search