Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pg2120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Powerpoint from laptop to DVD
    I have a Powerpoint presentation on an old Compaq laptop.

I tried to burn it to a cd using Roxio but get an error message about the cd drive is read- only. Is it possible that the cd drive on this old laptop only plays cds?

Also, the ultimate and most imortant goal is that I want to have the Powerpoint presentation (large file) copied from hard drive on laptop to DVDs so family members can view it on TV without having to use computers.

Please help... presentation took days for Mom's 70th birthday...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Old laptop
    Hi,
    First, a cd-rom drive may or may not be a "burner drive". To be able to copy files to a cd-r, the laptop must have a burner drive. It probably doesn't.
    Next, to burn files to a DVD requires a DVD Burner drive.
    You can buy an External Burner drive, and here is just one link to one:
    http://www.mittoni.com.au/external-u...er-p-1361.html

There are many different versions of DVD Burner drives and CD-R Burner Drives.
    I would suggest you take your laptop to a local computer repair shop/store, and ask what it would cost to transfer your files from your laptop to your computer. You also would have to think about buying a DVD Burner drive for your computer, if you don't already have one.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 18, 2005, 08:09 AM
    Some things to try.
    As Fred has already said, it does sound like the CD Rom isn't a burner or not working correctly.
    What is worth trying instead is a flash drive in the laptop's USB port and moving the file that way.

When it comes to displaying the Powerpoint presentation from DVD on to TV, I'm sure that this isn't possible.
    Powerpoint or even powerpoint viewer needs a PC to work, it is possible to convert the Powerpoint into a video and display it that way.

On a quick Google of "powerpoint to DVD" I found numerous hits, it's worth having a look thro' them for one that would suit your needs.

Hope this helps in some small way.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 18, 2005, 08:48 AM
    There are tools that will allow you convert a powerpoint presentation to something that can be saved as a VCD or a DVD. There are also tools that will take a series of JPG images and play them on a DVD. If you have any HP product, the HP Image Zone software can do this.

If you do as Ben suggested about googling, you should find some.

But you will need a burner drive. The original CD drives were ROMs (Read Only Memory). Burners, especially in laptops have become common only in the last few years.
    pg2120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Powerpoint CD to DVD
    Hello,

Thanks everyone for the response... I will get in touch to let you know how I resolved this. It may be a little while since it sounds like the situation will cost me at least a little bit of money.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2005, 05:59 AM
    Here's a good link that may good reading and may help you understand the language if you decide to shop around for someone to do it for you:
    http://www.videolane.com/?Digital_Vi...ert_PPT_to_VCD
    nukacola Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2006, 07:35 AM
    I have a simple and very featured tool for that. You can try it for free :p CLICK HERE FOR INFO

Good luck:D
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nukacola
    i have a simple and very featured tool for that. you can try it fo free :p CLICK HERE FOR INFO

good luck:D
    If you want to part with $200.

Feb 3, 2006, 07:45 AM
    :eek:
    Nobody invited me to part with me when I needed it :(
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 07:47 AM
    So the "Download Now" link gives you the full program with no nags and unlimited use?
    KatWilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    So the "Download Now" link gives you the full program with no nags and unlimited use?
    I tried it
    A free version adds a little logo to the right lower corner
    But! In spite of everything this program looks promising, I think I'll buy it
    It has everything I need:
    1. easy to use and intuitive interface
    2. ppt/pps 2 avi/asf/wmv/mpeg conversion
    3. option "burn cd/dvd" (it's also a cd-dvd-burner, wow!)
    4. no audio and video quality loss (many similar programs have problems with audio)
    5. options "auto click" (very useful!! ) and width-height changing
    Well.. as you see it's worth of money it costs isn't it?

May 25, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Absolutely. You will have just a watermarked version:rolleyes: , full functional :D .
    No time limit or lower quality...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting powerpoint slides into avi [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Sir, Please help me how I can make an *.avi file while using the power point xp slides... whould you like to help me... In this matter... Thanks Sir I have another question whould you like to help me... The question is How I can seprate the only music without vocals. I want...

MS PowerPoint shows wrong character. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a user that in Power Point while typing the ' in her presentation shows up as asquare. This only happens for the ' all other characters show up fine in this presentation and in Word and Excel the ' works just fine but in this one Power point the ' shows up as a square. Has anyone ever heard...

Word embedded in Powerpoint [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Word document embedded in Powerpoint, when it opens up I want it to open in the FULL SCREEN, print view (don't want any of the tool bars, etc... showing when it opens). Any idea how to do this? Thanks

Powerpoint to video [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! I wonder if there is the best way to convert Powerpoint presentation files to video. I was told that Presentation to Video Converter 1.2 http://www.geovid.com/Presentation_to_Video_Converter/ Gives a very good quality. Any suggestions appreciated Cheers!

Powerpoint [ 3 Answers ]

I know how to insert a CD track into a powerpoint but can only get it to play on my computer while the CD is in my computer. Is there any way to save the file and send the powerpoint with the music?

View more questions Search