Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oztraxed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2005, 03:46 AM
    which is the better value ring?
    Hi, I have a choice of 2 solitiare diamond engagement rings and wish your opinions which is worth more please? Both 18k gold, one white one yellow.
    First one 0.21 ct round cut, f/g brilliant, clarity I1, natural earthed diamond, yellow gold.
    Second 0.24 oval, SI brilliance and natural earth diamond.

Both in quite simple mounts with no other stones involved. Dealer asking about same price but I suspect the yellow gold round diamond, though smaller, will be worth more the oval white gold ring?

Thanks

OzT
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2006, 06:50 AM
    If you are buying one of these for investment, then you really don't need the mount. The smaller diamond would be a better buy. If you are buying for engagement ring, then either would be a nice ring.
    oztraxed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Thank you very much, this is what I had done

Thanks again :)
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Feb 16, 2006, 01:32 AM
    One should always use the 4 C's when purchasing a diamond. Clarity, Cut, Color and Carat.
    I1, Included #1, Obvious inclusions. Somewhat easy to locate with the unaided eye. F/G Colorless (White)
    &
    You do not state SI1 or SI2 so both: SI1, Slightly Included #1, Noticeable inclusions that are easy to locate at 10x. & SI2, Slightly Included #2, Noticeable inclusion that are very easy to locate at 10x. You do not state color for this stone.
    The size difference between .21 and .24 is hardly noticeable.

It is always safer to buy quality than quantity. Visible inclusions are not so good in such a small diamond, they will easily be seen. My opinion, go with the smaller higher quality diamond. The jeweler might be trying to trick your thinking by offering a less valuable diamond for a higher price due to a slight size difference. To an uneducated buyer they might jump on a bigger stone never knowing they bought a lower quality, thus cheaper stone and got ripped off.
    My first engagement ring was a Princess cut .33 carat VVS1 G color. I bought it for $600 and the jeweler mounted it in a white gold traditional solitare setting. The mount was free with the purchase of the loose diamond. The best deals are on loose diamonds.

Hypatia

GIACOLOR - COMMERCIAL GRADINGD
    E
    F
    G
    H
    I
    Colorless
    (White)
    J
    K
    L
    Near Colorless
    (White)
    M
    Faint Yellow
    N,O,P,Q,R
    Very Light Yellow
    S,T,U,V,
    W,X,Y,Z
    Light Yellow

SymbolMeaningDefinition
    F FlawlessFree from all inclusions or blemishes.
    IF Internally Flawless No inclusions visible at 10x magnification.
    VVS1 Very Very Slightly Included #1Inclusions that are extremely difficult to locate at 10x.
    VVS2 Very Very Slightly Included #2Inclusions that are very difficult to locate at 10x.
    VS1 Very Slightly Included #1Minor inclusions that are difficult to locate at 10x.
    VS2 Very Slightly Included #2 Minor inclusions that are somewhat difficult to locate at 10x.
    SI1 Slightly Included #1Noticeable inclusions that are easy to locate at 10x.
    Sl2 Slightly Included #2Noticeable inclusion that are very easy to locate at 10x.
    I1 Included #1Obvious inclusions. Somewhat easy to locate with the unaided eye.
    I2 Included #2Obvious inclusions. Easy to locate with the unaided eye.
    I3Included #3Obvious inclusions. Very easy to locate with the unaided eye.

http://www.diasource.com/fourcs.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Still together, but I gave back the ring [ 20 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for over a year. I am very heart broken right now because we were engaged but I made a decision to give the ring back. His mother and I has a miscommunication over where a date a time for a party for myself was. After that she ripped into me about the...

Wedding Ring Question [ 6 Answers ]

My g/f and I are curious about the wedding ring thing. She doesn't want an engagement ring but I would like to get her one anyway. Also if anyone knows where I can find a good white gold engagement ring with diamonds inset id love your help. With the redding rings themselves. Who pays for them...

Where Can I Get This Ring in USA? [ 9 Answers ]

http://www.bevilles.com.au/content/Product_Detail/Default.asp?prodid=8646 Does anyone know where I can buy a ring just like this in USA? The site above is an Australian site and they won't sell me the ring without the diamonds unless I go to Aussieville. I'm looking for a *setting only* as I...

Toilet ring seal [ 5 Answers ]

Could you help us settle an argument? One of our toliets is loose from the floor and I say the ring is broken (AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED). My husband says that it only moves like 5 mm but it definitely rocks when you sit on it. The floor is not level in the bathroom. The tile next to the tub (which...

View more questions Search