Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmccleean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Market research for a janitorial business
    :cool: I live in louisville Kentucky and Im in the process of starting a janitorial business part time. I do not have enough money to hire a market research firm. Where else could I get information on demand and market conditions for commercial cleaning in my area ?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Why do you think that you need to research the market? Every business needs someone to clean. If you want to work, then you get your name out there by travelling by foot to meet potential clients in person and also advertise your business.

You go and ask potential clients personally bringing with you a some business cards and also a paper which describes the services that you offer as well as some of the fees. You can do free advertising on the Internet. Please see the following link for that. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...ng-103010.html

Also, two very excellent online resources from which to find information when you are first starting in your small business are http://www.sba.gov/ and SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business"

Another thing that you might want to do, is type the word cleaner and/or cleaning in the search box at the top of this page. When you do, you will find that there have been lots of questions and also answers, concerning people who provide cleaning services for others. Lots of things are discussed on the links.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 14, 2007, 12:44 AM
    Great answer Clough, listen to him bmccleean.

I have been in the Commercial Cleaning Business for over 35 years-last 15 with my own companies. In the beginning your first concern should be getting some immediate business.

Start personally calling on companies that are possibly smaller in size. They are not called upon as much as the medium or larger buildings. Once you have a few of these and are "working" them you will actually learn the business (assuming you don't already). This is the best way to "make your mistakes." As you learn the business then expand to larger businesses.

Believe me, in the beginning, you are the advertiser, the marketing person, the sales person, the worker, the administrator, etc. Also this may be very necessary because the number of people you have to pay (in the beginning) needs to be minimal. Remember--always be professional and always get a written contract-opened ended if possible so a "re-newel" each year isn't necessary. Besides; they usually want a "termination clause" anyway.

When the time comes for larger business you will need to put together a business plan. Do this for yourself and for financing for those larger jobs; equipment, labor, overhead, admin, etc.

Post again if I may be of assistance.
    -Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business Plan & Research for the you.S. Stone tile market [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a resource to better understand the potentiality of the marble tile market in the U.S. We are a marble quarry that is considering investing in a tile line to produce such tiles but I need to find qualified data that would support this investment. Thank you for any lead or...

Janitorial Business Leads [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any companies located in Los Angeles or on the Web that set-up leads or potential customers that are looking for janitorial services?

Market Research for a Billiard Parlor [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to start a billiard parlor that does not serve alcohol in an area that does not currently have one. The closest places like us are a little over 150 miles away, in an area that is more highly populated with very different demographics. My question is this: how do I go about...

How to market the sale of your small business [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have suggestions or know of any networking type of avenues to market a small business for sale? It's a family owned Christian Supply and Bookstore near Knoxville, TN. To give you a better idea, the website is: Maryville Alcoa Christian Supply Store We currently have it listed...

Is It A Buyer's Market or Seller's Market.. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello group, would someone please explain to me what determines a "buyer's market" and a "seller's market"? We always hear the "news" of the housing boom busting and now we hear more homeowner's are putting their houses on the market than there are new homes being built, but what does that mean?...

View more questions Search