Oct 7, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Wisconsin shooting
    -----------------------------------------
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2185780,00.html

Five killed in Wisconsin shooting

Staff and agencies
    Sunday October 7, 2007
    Guardian Unlimited

At least five people were killed today in a shooting in the US state of Wisconsin, county officials said.

The shooting happened in the north-east Wisconsin city of Crandon, which is located 392 km (225 miles) north of Milwaukee, the state's largest city.

A witness told local radio station WTMJ that the shooting happened just before 3am local time (9am BST).

"It's a pretty tragic situation here," said Forest County supervisor Tom Vollmar. "There are five or six people dead."

The neighbourhood where the shooting happened has been blocked off, Mr Vollmar said.

The town has a population of about 2,000.
    ---------------------------------------------

Are there any members from Wisconsin?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
    I am not in Wisconsin, but an adjoining state. That makes at least two major shootings in Wisconsin in the last six months or so.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3699921

CRANDON, Wis. Oct 7, 2007 (AP)

A local law enforcement employee went on a shooting rampage early Sunday in remote northern Wisconsin, killing at least five people, authorities said.

Crandon Police Chief John Dennee, speaking outside the police department about two blocks from the shooting site, would not say whether the suspect was dead. But he said: "We're not looking for anybody anymore."

A dispatcher for the State Patrol who declined to give his full name as a matter of department practice said several of the patrol's officers went to Forest County to help investigators because the suspect is an employee of the Forest County Sheriff's Department and a part-time officer for the Crandon Police Department.

"It's a pretty tragic situation here," said Forest County Supervisor Tom Vollmar, who lives just outside Crandon, a city of about 2,000 people. "There are five or six people dead."

The State Patrol and the Crandon Fire Department detoured a steady stream of traffic from two blocks of U.S. Highway 8 in the downtown area. Some residents stood in nearby front yards.

The northeast Wisconsin town is about 225 miles north of Milwaukee. The area is known for logging, and fishing, hunting and snowmobiling.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 01:12 PM
    I did hear about the previous shooting,but do not remember the details of that one.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:14 PM
    That's why everyone should carry guns. So they can shoot the shooter before he gets them..
    Don't you agree??

No either do I. But many people do. They think carrying a gun should be compulsory.

Crazy. Gun violence in the US is out of control and they do nothing about it. Something to do with the Constitution and an amendment..
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 12:34 AM
    I don't believe in carrying guns. I do like to use guns for only sport, though. But, not the kinds of guns that shoot actual bullets. I am not a hunter of living things. But, I do like to shoot targets that aren't living.

I would have to agree that gun violence is out of control in the U.S. and that little is done about it.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 04:17 AM
    If you have time to call the police because there is someone with a gun attacking you, that would be your last call, you would be dead before the police even get there.

I believe that one must protect themselves, armed themselves against stupid people who uses a gun to promote violence.

People kill people, a gun is the tool they use.

Yes I own guns for sport , hunting and protection, everyone should own a gun to protect themselves, because the police cannot.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 04:39 AM
    I wish this I could give you a greenie Mr. Yet. I have to agree wholeheartedly with every word you said.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 05:15 AM
    Oh lord.

Some idiot goes crazy and kills people, and people are blaming the GUN?

Get real!

It's really a tragedy--I've been to Crandon several times. But it was a POLICE OFFICER that did it! So... taking guns away from the general public would have done NOTHING to prevent this tragedy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 05:20 AM
    People have been killing people from the beginning of time. They used clubs, knives, whatever they can get their hands on.

It wasn't the "gun" that killed these people, it was the lunatic holding the gun. The firearm cannot fire on it's own. It needs someone to pull the trigger. That boy would have committed this crime whether he had a gun. He would have found some other way.

I live in the city with the highest crime rate in America. You think I'm NOT going to protect myself and my family. You got to be kidding.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Oh lord.

Some idiot goes crazy and kills people, and people are blaming the GUN?

Get real!

It's really a tragedy--I've been to Crandon several times. But it was a POLICE OFFICER that did it! So...taking guns away from the general public would have done NOTHING to prevent this tragedy.
    Synn,
    I read that in the news too.
    Is it true?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 05:49 AM
    There have been A LOT of videos surfacing lately about police brutality. Something is wrong with the system there in the US.

About gun control: I feel a lot safer here in Canada.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Here is another article from the shooting. An off duty deputy sheriff. May not ever know why he shot the people, as he was shot, possibly by a sniper, possibly by law enforcement.
    Midcontinent Communications: MidcoNet - News

I will agree with others who said it is not the gun but the one holding the gun. Taking away my gun would not keep peace. More gun laws would not work either. There are always ways to obtain firearms.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 06:02 AM
    I have heard (not sure if it is true) in Australia you can buy the different parts to assemble and make a gun,but not purchase a whole gun!?

Thanks for the link Shy.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Yes... the lunatic holding the gun should be responsible for this awful awful tragedy
    I own guns, we hardley use them for sport, and we don't hunt but I tell you what, someone tried to get my babies or me, they are going to go down trying. Do I need to post my pic J? These people, I wonder if their friends and family had honest feelings about them before these things happened. Let us take in concideration, there are people we run across and we just know they are capable of doing things, but think it is just a matter of time. Should we work harder to bring these thoughts and feelings to the surface so we can stop some of these messes before they come? Does that make sense?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:14 AM
    It's a known fact that half of the poulation is insane. Ask any professional working in Psychiatry. The reason I took an early retirement from federal law enforcement was due to all the young, gun ho nuts coming on board. In just a few months, after desert storm, one blew his brains out, another shot himself in the gut, another nearly beat a hooker to death. It was something different every month. You got to be out there to see it first hand though. Just watching the news doesn't show the full scope of the real problems.
    The federal government have indoctrinated the local law enforcement folks into this homeland security hype in which they are trained (brainwashed) that all U.S. citizens, have the potential to be terrorist. Hence the rise in police brutality. The kid that went off in Wisconsin was mentally unstable from the get go. That happens a lot in small towns where the police recruiting standards are not as stringent as in larger cities. Everyone there knew him since grade school and thought he was an OK guy. They were not qualified to make that call.
    I now live in a small town in Idaho and I see the same thing happening here. Every so often a cop goes off and does something really crazy. He wasn't screened properly and got through the cracks in their small town system.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Everyone there knew him since grade school and thought he was an OK guy. They were not qualified to make that call.
    I guess my question would be this... do you think that someone around him knew that there may have been a problem and should they have stepped in before there was this mess?
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Oct 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
    WE think just because someone has a badge that they are normal, sometimes that is the farthest thing from the truth.. I am sure that it happens more often than we want to realize. Maybe not with shootings, but with domestic abuse, substance abuse and even rapists or pedophiles. Being a cop still means you are human. Even when they take precautions, people are capable of putting on a good show, until they literally lose their mind and do something like this...
    Isn't it usually the most random person, who everyone thought was kind of a loner but OK, that turns around and unleashes their wrath on some poor innoncent people? It seems that way doesn't it?
    Magprob, good thing you got out of that! I am sure that many do seem brainwashed and of course dealing with murderers, thieves and crazy people can get to you after awhile!
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shatteredsoul
    Magprob, good thing you got out of that! I am sure that many do seem brainwashed and of course dealing with murderers, thieves and crazy people can get to you after awhile!!
    Yea, now I'm crazy.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 01:48 PM
    There are those lunatics out there and perhaps law enforcement draws them because of the authority. There was a man who worked in the city where I moved from, who was a prison guard, became a probation officer, and thought he was God on earth. He manufactured evidence, boarded up his daughter's bedroom windows so she could not break curfew, planted drugs on the very people he was supervising their parole, beat his first wife when she was 8 months pregnant, pulled a gun on his second wife when she decided she had had enough and shot her. The man was as unbalanced as a teeter totter. But he was allowed to resign and relocate. He moved to Idaho where he was able to get back into the prison system and works as a guard. Scary, isn't it?
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Don't go to prison in Idaho! Some of the nuttiest people I have ever known are prison guards. Was it Churchill that said, "If you want to meet the scum of the earth, be at any prison during shift change."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shooting Guard [ 6 Answers ]

I want to ask like what is shooting guard's job and what they have to do during the , plus what kind of trainning can be improve the performance during the games?

Wisconsin eviction [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin and about 3 years ago, my girlfriend and I decided to buy a house together, we have been together for approx. 8 years ( I know bad idea from the start ). Because of I had a past issue with identity theft, we decided to have the mortgage in her name only for the first year. We...

Getting out of my Lease in Wisconsin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about getting out of my lease. I live in Wisconsin and recently sign a lease for a year. I am having problems with my landlords, They have been saying things and then backing out on them. I made the mistake by not getting anything in writing, but I am tired of dealing with them. I...

View more questions Search