Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacava33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Heat pump not cooling or heating properly
    I am having a problem with my Rheem heat pump. The indoor unit seems to be fine and the blower motor is running. The outside unit seems to be the problem. The fan only runs part of the time sometimes not kicking on at all other time kicking on for several minutes then kicking off before the temp is met. It is doing this in both the heat and cool modes? Any suggestions?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Its hard to say with such little info. You may have a fan motor going bad or just a bad run capacitor. Will the motor and compressor shut off or just the condenser fan motor?
    lacava33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 10:48 PM
    Both the fan motor and compressor shut off. I think I might have narrowed it down to the contactor. When the tstat was switched to cool I watched the contactor and it never made contact and if I would press on the spring and make it contact then the unit both motor and compressor would run. Is there any other possibilities or anything that could have made the contactor go ex. Compressor going bad or any thing to that degree? I haven't been able to change the contactor yet so I am not positive but seems right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air conditioner not cooling properly [ 3 Answers ]

I have a single wide moble home with an addition, it has 100 amp service. I had a two and a half ton air conditioner and heat pump installed a few years ago. It has never cooled my home and I have had a numer of service people check it and they either add freon or take it out saying there is too...

Bryant Heat Pump not cooling [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed the other night that my 14 yr old Bryant heat pump was not cooling when I got home. The fan on the unit was not spinning, but I could hear the unit making a buzz. When I used a stick reach the fan to rotate it, it actually spun up to running speed, but never did cool the air in the...

Rheem Split Unit A/C not cooling properly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem split unit heater / ac RGDG-075AUER. It appear to be from 1994 based upon the serial number CB5D302-F1994-1196. The unit does not provide proper cooling for my townhome. When the AC is turned on it will initially blow cool air, but eventually the air appears warmer as if only a fan...

Carrier heat pump not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Our Carrier heat pump is not cooling our house. This is the first time it has been on for cooling this year. The system is running outside and the system inside is running and cool to the touch, but nothing is coming out the vents. It sounds like the fan is running. The thermostat is set for 72...

Heat Pump not heating house -fan is running [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Ruud heat pump that is 12-13years old & as of the last few days, it does not seem to be heating the house very well but it has been very cold for this part of the country. It works well when the outside temp is above 50 degrees. It has been in the upper 30's and low 40's. We put on the...

View more questions Search