Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antoliva Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 03:43 AM
    I can't remove ZoneAlarm firewall
    Hi
    I have a Pentium4 with WindowsXP pro, update 2.
    More than a year ago I had the bad idea to install a free version of Zone Alarm firewall.
    When the year time expired the program stop working.
    A new version of it was not possible to install due to a file VSPUBAPI.dll that was not found. The file does exist in the system but I don't know where the bloody ZA program want it to be. So I decided to get rid of this unfriendly program and install a different firewall.
    But now I can't even completely remove the old program from my PC.
    There is a folder in Windows/System32 called Zonelab which is full of files and no one of them can be deleted or renamed, the folder can not be deleted, renamed or relocated. Even in the register there are Zone Alarm keys which can not be removed!!
    I have printed some instructions from the ZA online forum to do the whole removal but nothing work. I got error messages saying that the access is denied or that the disk is full, or that the program is been used.
    During the process of cleaning up the register I could remove without problems all remaining keys of Norton, CA antivirus and other programs I have deleted from my PC some time ago, but ZA can not be touched!! IT OWNS MY COMPUTER!!
    There might be a way to get rid of this pest, perhaps by editing the files and scramble them so they can be deleted after, but I do not know how to get to OPEN a file to edit it. I used to do that many years ago with DOS programs.
    Please help. Thank you
    Toni :(
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 03:52 AM
    ZA is actually a well respected free program so this surprises me. Have you tried rebooting into safe Mode to remove the files. If that works then use a good registry cleaner like CCleaner to clean up the entries.

Oct 7, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Thank you needkarma, I'll try that. I will tell you later how was it.
    Toni
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 7, 2007, 04:33 AM
    A word of warning.
    To remove ZA you MUST use their inbuilt uninstaller.
    Using Add/Remove causes untold damage and then you'll need to rebuild your computer.

Oct 7, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Thank you Curlyben, I did't mention that the very first thing I did was to try to unistall from ZA itself, after that I tried to uninstall from Control Panel, both of them failed giving me error messages. Was for that reason that I tried to remove manually. Anyway, there is something very annoying in ZA which does not happen with other programs, I have been installing and uninstalling programs from a PC for over 15 years and I have never seen any thing like this before. I am not an expert in computers, but I have been everywhere just following instructions from computer's magazines.
    Toni
    Arimmus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Problem with some of ZA is that when they cannot validate a freaking dll file and because of that it can't be uninstalled. Tried everything to fix problem (including reaching deep into registry and removing it from there (Yeah even regedit can't remove the damn reg files). Frustration sets in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AVG and Zonealarm on XP [ 5 Answers ]

Many people advise on combining avg and za together instead of norton, I am planning on changing but need to know Which has better anti-spyware and anti-spam protection avg or za? Because that will determine which internet security suite I will get. Also please let me know of the combination you...

Which free firewall is the best ? [ 2 Answers ]

I search for freeware firewall. And come to know two softwares: Outpostfree and Comodo free. Which one is better ?Any problems with these two ? Or may be you know some better ones ? Please recommend.

ZoneAlarm Security Alerts (Urgent) [ 3 Answers ]

Today, I've been receiving various security alerts from ZoneAlarm. I don't know that much about network security, but these are the messages that I just received. The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 55555) from ip56500def.direct-adsl.nl (86.80.13.239) (TCP Port...

ZoneAlarm blocking MP3Search.ru? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my daughter is interested in the MP3Search.ru website, and we have been able to navigate to it in the past. But recently I have installed ZoneAlarm and AdAware/AdWatch on all our computers and we now cannot get to the site. I get the page saying that 'the website is unavailable, check with...

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

View more questions Search