Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Orthodox Jews and Physical Fitness
    Is there some reason in Jewish religious books that prohibits male Orthodox Jews from participating in promoting their physical fitness--sports, exercise, walking, whatever??

Is it against their God's law?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Don't know too many fat out of shape Jewish men, so they must get exercise somewhere
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Oct 7, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Nothing precludes it rleigiously; I just happen to be incredibly lazy.

My wife goes to the gym. I have a friend who runs spinning classes, one who runs triathalons and one who is a polar bear, rock climber and marathon runner. And another friend who sits and watches sports. Plus, everything in between.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
    So, ORTHODOX Jewish men can be as active as they want to be; no religious constraints.. no Jewish laws that make exercising difficult?

Thanks. :):):)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
    I do not know of physical exercise being prohibited to an Orthodox Jew except on Shabbat and Jewish holidays. You can read through the List of the 613 Mitzvot and see if you can find anything different. Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Oct 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
    The laws which might make it difficult are as follows

1. time -- on the sabbath and holidays, most orthodox people won't exercise (I know the rare Ortho Jew who might jog or count a relaxing walk)

2. time, times 2 -- because of the obligation to pray which often means going to synagogue, mornings and evenings are limited. And because many members of ortho communities continue their education with classes and lectures there is even less time

3. modesty -- a man would want to work out in the presence of men, not women so he would need a gym which could suit religious needs. While there are modern ortho people who will work out in mixed gender settings, it is still a law which should be considered

4. hunger -- working out works up the appetite so a jew would have to find a gym with kosher food. Otherwise, he'd have to pack his pockets

5. while working on the body and keeping it fit is admirable, that often takes away from time which could be used studying torah. That's not exactly my excuse but I had to put it out there.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I was also wondering if a lot more emphasis is placed on "soul" and the value of being in constant contact with religious thought than taking care of the body... dualism... undervaluing the human body.

Oct 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
    While connection to the soul is important, the body is also important -- things that damage the body are not allowed -- we may not put ourselves in danger or do anything which destroys the body (the literature is full of arguments about cigarettes, drugs and drinking among other things).
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 05:25 PM
    All monotheistic, esp Fundamentalist versions, speak against alcohol, cigarettes etc. That is an unconvincing argument in answering my question.

In fact, I'm reminded that most Muslims don't engage in exercise... such as sports, working out, etc etc... I understand why besides possible religious constraints that may exist. However, male Orthodox Jews don't face the problems that most Muslims face... poverty, illiteracy, etc.etc.

Anyway, I guess this topic doesn't offer any more productive conversation. (I still feel like I'm missing something) :):):)
    Army Mike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2013, 07:52 AM
    A big aspect of Jewish law is the sanctity of the body and the soul (Neshama). Your body is actually on loan from G0d, ergo you must take care of it. Smoking, excessive drinking, lack of hygiene, bad diet and lack of exercise mean that you are not taking care of what you were loaned. From the Jewish point of view you have to take care of your body. In fact, if you look at 'Pikuach Nefesh' which literally means 'guarding of the body' it means that you have to go to any length to save a life. Abusing ones body is the total opposite of guarding your body.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

Jews [ 18 Answers ]

Why don't Jews celebrate Christmas? And what festival do they celebrate in December? And what's that festival about? From Cocopops2311

Orthodox jewish women [ 5 Answers ]

How are orthodow jewish women treated:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Russian Orthodox [ 3 Answers ]

Forgive me for my naïve question, but I'm trying to learn. :) Long story, but my husbands brother with his wife and children converted from Baptist to Russian Orthodox in the past year. They both were raised in a Baptist family, so it was a bit of a surprise when it all happened. Once they...

Questions about fitness [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I been working out hard for the past while I used to weigh 151 and I put on 171 like I pretty big now but I just want to know how I can get more defiend I want a six pack and stuff hahah not only to look better but just to feel better all around could u tell me the best weighs to define.. I...

View more questions Search