Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ulr037 Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2005, 12:42 PM
    Downloading music - Recommendation for safe sites. Will not use much!
    :cool: :)

I would like to know if someone can recommend a safe site to download just one song? I will not be using the site much, I just want to get one song off a safe site.Is this possible these days? It might be possible that from time to time I may to use it but that will be rarely. I have quite a collection of CD's but this time I just need one song to complete a project. Thanks for your advice on this one.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 17, 2005, 02:26 PM
    What's the name of the song? I got a few from limewire and k-lite which were safe as long as online protection antivirus program is on, but you'll have to 'share' with them too, no matter how much you want to download. No site enjoys dealing with freeloaders, so if you use one of these, you'll need to download their application and register and configure it so that you only 'share' one directory and have at least 30 files in there to share with others to download from you. Don't download for too long or it will leave you open for hackers, trojans, etc.

Still let me know the name of the song, I might have it and will send it to you, or know where to get it. I only have a collection of about 3000, is that enough?

Good Luck.
    If you choose one of the above mentioned apps, and have questions, get back with me and I'll help as much as I can. If you have to buy it, I can do that for you too for only around 10 to 80 cents for one song and I think I can donate that to you, no problem as long as you let me know which one it is.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 17, 2005, 03:02 PM
    By the way, how are your other problems going along? I have a few PCDoctor documents in PDF format and other How to's that will help you learn the basics if you need them in the future. Let me know and PM me your email and I'll send you the PCDoctor files when you are ready.

Again good luck.

P.S. We all started somewhere, I just got a 20 or so year headstart on you, that's all. But you'll get there, don't worry. You picked the right forum for help, that was one good start, but there is something about computers and their users - if you think it's going to go fast and easy, WRONG. I've sat at my computer for 48 hours at one sitting one time and that was just on one, I have 5. I also help my friends out with their's and sometimes it can take a weekend, so you need patience first and foremost. My b/f even had to make his own meals during that time, but he's a big boy and won't starve.

And once you think you got it, oops, there is something new, so there you go.
    I'm glad that you are at least interested in starting to 'play' (that's what I call it) instead of wanting to just drive it after someone else tunes it.

May I suggest you use a virtual printer application - it's a program that acts like a printer, but actually prints out the stuff in PDF format so that you can save it. Thes documents can be read by Adobe Acrobat Reader which has version 7 out to download for free. I do that with all interesting stuff and save all those PDFs on a CD afterwards. They really help to remember what you read or did. It's just as good as a good Printscreen application which you can edit with a good graphics program and 'print' that into PDF format too. If you need to find them let me know. These programs help people who use laptops and don't have a printer readily available.

There is also an application called siw.exe that tells you everything about your computer, and also a helpdesk technician, so find that and download it, it's better than the msinfo file that is created as a system information file. Most helpdesk sites sometimes need "part" of this file to help figure out what's wrong with a system or application, but it also has all your passwords, so you'll have to blank them out before sending them off to strangers. You can search for this file and also download it.
    Gee, this seems like it's going to wind up like a book, maybe I should write one just for us 'gals'.
    I already did start on one and am still working on it as I never stop learning new stuff every day, but for some it's like learning a whole new language, that's what I'm working on - trying to make it in simpler words-
    I guess I just like writing. I used to help doctors write their papers for the American Medical Association journals in all different specialities ( even learned medicine myself until I met my exhusband and had a child), and transcribed/translated hospital and operation reports from German hospitals to english for my docs, when I worked for the Chief of Hospital Clinics here in Germany. So now it's time for computer lingo.
    Again good luck.

Oct 17, 2005, 05:53 PM
    Song needed - "You raise me up" by Celtic Woman
    Chery:

An aside before I answer your questions,

I cannot wait for my husband to read your post. Right now he is Toronto. But when he gets home, I am going to make it a point that he has to read your post. He is complaining that I spend too much time at my computer with this problem. Wait till he hears that I am "somewhat normal" ( in terms of computer time on the computer) He has never run any of the scans so I should get a break here thanks to you. He even took a poll amongst his friends to see how much time they spent in front of their computers. And if they had similar problems to mine. The fact that you are from Germany, will take some pressure off me I am sure. He is from Köln. Your post will gain me some extra bonus points I am sure. We visit Germany a couple of times every year. Our next planned trip is in January. One of his Christmas presents this year is to attend the Udo Jürgens Concert in January in Köln.

I would love that you would write a book for us girls. I will be the first one to purchase a copy.

Okay, now, the song is " You raised me up" ... so I can stand on mountains.... By Celtic Woman.

I was also wondering if you had the version by Josh Grobin. I wanted to compare the two to see which one I will use in my Father's tribute. When I was researching Celtic Woman I saw a song called The Soft Goodby. Do you have that one as well? I was just curious about that one. They also have one titled "The Butterfly" Again ,curious as to that song as well. Maybe just to use as background. Not sure anything about this song though.

Do you want me to post my email here on this site for the computer basics information?

How I am doing with my other problems.

Well...

Norton - No Viruses found
    Spybot Search and destroy - none found
    Adaware - no threats
    Microsoft Antispyware - no threats
    CW Shredder - none found
    Spyware Blaster 3.4 - have not put on yet. Will be doing that tonight

4 original pop boxes still there. Will be working on that again right now. But I am scared to do so. I do not get the registry concept that much but StuMegu has me trying a few things in his last post.

I will keep everyone posted on this problem.

Thanks for researching the music for me. And all the encouragement your words contain.

Talk to you real soon.

Cheers! :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 17, 2005, 06:03 PM
    I don't have the songs, but will look for them and let you know as soon as I find them. As far as the email address, click on my name, go to my profile, send me a 'private message' - place the email address there, that's better.

TataForNow,
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 17, 2005, 06:16 PM
    German Men..
    Oh, boy, a German chauvy?? I've been in Germany long enough to know they think we 'little women' are best at other things. Tell him I taught basic DOS and Basic GWBasics to classes of men, also was administrator of two unix servers at our hospital and created time and attendance programs and taught those classes too. I learned about computers at home all by myself and never went to a class, but taught a lot since then. That will make him take a better look at your interests and hobbies.

My b/f is German too and I notice he gets upset sometimes, but hey I have time for him, and make it 'prime time', so he's satisfied. It's better than watching soaps or talk shows all day. I'm ill and don't stand or walk too much, so he understands that I have to keep busy. I even translate some of the things in another forum for him and we have a good laugh. That forum is mainly from the UK and it keeps our sides aching..
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 18, 2005, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    I don't have the songs, but will look for them and let you know as soon as I find them. As far as the email address, click on my name, go to my profile, send me a 'private message' - place the email address there, that's better.

TataForNow,
    I found them and it will take a while, but will get them to you as soon as they are on my PC.
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Oct 18, 2005, 10:02 AM
    Sending Music
    Hiya Chery
    Don't want to stick my nose in where it's not needed, but, I have e-mailed music with WWW.yousendit.com Suppose you know that, so tell me to mind my own business if you like. DavidB
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 18, 2005, 10:50 AM
    No, don't mind your own business!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehazel1953
    Hiya Chery
    Don't want to stick my nose in where it's not needed, but, I have e-mailed music with WWW.yousendit.com Suppose you know that, so tell me to mind my own business if you like. DavidB
    Hi, you are in a forum, where we all share, and it is public... so please don't think that you are intruding. I have not heard of the link, does it let you upload stuff for others to download? So I don't know everything and probably never will, and am willing to learn more. Thanks for your input and please come on along and join us and explain. ;)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 18, 2005, 07:28 PM
    hi lori, let me know if our project worked, if so, there will be more on the way, TTFN, chery
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 18, 2005, 07:35 PM
    Hey bluehazel..
    Hiya Chery
    I just checked out this site, and I think I'll be using is a lot from now on. Thanks a lot for the good advice!

Oct 18, 2005, 09:55 PM
    Chery - it worked!

Cheers!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 19, 2005, 06:57 AM
    Great! now I'll use the other program suggested by bluehazel and send you the rest. I can send up to 1 Gigabyte at a time with it, so that's easier. Will do this today, after my forums, they come first because of the time difference from Germany, so let me know when you get the message from that site, OK? P.S. Never heard them before, but I like them a lot too!

Oct 19, 2005, 10:07 AM
    Downloading Music
    Hiya Chery
    Not very often I get the chance to help anyone. Isn't it nice to be able to share what we have learned. I come on this forum every night, and I've learned so much. Nice to know I'm not the only one who uses the "Serenity Prayer" (Fred). Thank You. DavidB.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2005, 10:50 AM
    Sorry to put a damper on things here. But have we forgotten copyright protection? I checked out the Celtic Woman website (http://www.celticwoman.com/site.html). They don't appear to freely distribute their music and since they are a current group their stuff would be protected by copyright. That means it would be illegal to make copies for distribution.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Oct 19, 2005, 12:02 PM
    Music Distribution
    I also don't want to wreck any forum friendships here,but lets put Scott's reply another way.Say I buy an online track for my iPod for 99 cents,or £1 here in the UK,because we get stung by tax!! Then after uploading it to my player,I send it to a friend via email,or put it on disc,for him/her to use.I have broken the law in the eyes of both Apple,the artist,and the record company,because although I've paid for it,I've really only bought ONE licence,so that I can legally download it off the site,upload it to my player,and listen to it.At least that's how I think the law works.
    I admit that you can freely download/upload FREE mp3 tracks from certain sites,as a promotional freebie,made available by the record company,and artists permission,but these are usually few and far between.I would be very carefall if deciding to distribute tracks over the net.Companies like Limewire,come under P2P,where you can download thousands of tracks for nothing.However,apart from the obvious legality of this,and god knows what else comes with the music,like a virus,spyware,worms,etc,would you want all and sundry uploading off your hard drive?
    Sorry to sound such a kill joy,but better to be safe than sorry.After all,look what Metallica did to Napster in the days before they went legal,and without Sean Fanning.

Oct 19, 2005, 01:03 PM
    Hiya All
    This is what you get when buying music in auctions. I wouldn't dream of breaching any copyright laws.
    "These DVD’s are for back-up purposes only – it is the buyer’s responsibility to own or possess the original recordings by the artists, and should the DVD contain any albums that are not owned by the buyer – then it is their responsibility to destroy/remove any albums from their collection within 24 hours of receipt to abide by international copyright laws". If someone told you they had the music Chery, surely you could send a back up. I'm no expert in any of this, but if it is in my interests I like to believe what people tell me. DavidB.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 19, 2005, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    Great!, now I'll use the other program suggested by bluehazel and send you the rest. I can send up to 1 Gigabyte at a time with it, so that's easier. Will do this today, after my forums, they come first because of the time difference from Germany, so let me know when you get the message from that site, OK? P.S. Never heard them before, but I like them a lot too!

Guess what, after I sent the files, I even got a notification that it got to you. You have seven days to click on the links and download. I added Ave Maria also, hope you like it as much as I did.

P.S. Bluehazel, thanks again!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2005, 04:00 PM
    Hiya All
    This is what you get when buying music in auctions. I wouldn't dream of breaching any copyright laws.
    "These DVD’s are for back-up purposes only – it is the buyer’s responsibility to own or possess the original recordings by the artists, and should the DVD contain any albums that are not owned by the buyer – then it is their responsibility to destroy/remove any albums from their collection within 24 hours of receipt to abide by international copyright laws". If someone told you they had the music Chery, surely you could send a back up. I'm no expert in any of this, but if it is in my interests I like to believe what people tell me. DavidB.
    Basically what they are saying is:
    I know this is breaking the law, you know its breaking the law, but as long as I tell you about it, I'm in the clear.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 19, 2005, 04:07 PM
    Point well understood, I bought the album at MP3Search.ru and will not sell or make copies of it. Just shared to let someone know how good the artist is. The main reason I use the program bluehazel suggested is for pictures of my cats and my own PDF documents. Thanks for the reminder..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Software recommendation. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm tired of trying to use Excel as a database. Navigating to what I want amongst the rows, columns and tabs is becoming a nightmare. My needs are simple: to organize info and sometimes convert it for use on a website. Blew my mind to see the prices! MyDatabase at about $30 seems to cover...

Need a recommendation for a good Print Screen App [ 13 Answers ]

It must include auto scroll for web pages. I've used Print Screen Deluxe for years, but there's a bug in their most recent version and auto scroll is not working... and their support is horrid. Thanks!

Book Recommendation [ 10 Answers ]

I just finished reading Michael Crichton's State of Fear. I think its one of the most important books I have ever read in my lifetime (and I'm an avid reader). I would strongly urge everyone to run out and get a copy (its in paperback or at your local library) and read it immediately.

Need a Simple Guestbook Recommendation [ 3 Answers ]

I've been burned before: A site wiped out from my stupidity in not updating the script. I recently installed VIPER Guestbook: I like it's simplicity and features, but now see that it will no longer be updated... so don't want to keep it. Can anyone recommend a simple, secure Guestbook...

View more questions Search