Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bumbold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2005, 12:01 PM
    Getting my husband working papers
    Me and my husband where just married about a month ago. He is from England and here on a J-1 student visa. We really need for both of us to be working, right now we are living with my parents and going crazy. I have downloaded the packet of forms that we need to file and have mostly filled them out. I have also sent away for an official copy of our marriage certificate. I have talked to a lawer and he said that its important that we file the right things at the right time and so I was wondering if someone knew exactly what we are supposed to file and when. Any help would be much appreciated.
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Oct 17, 2005, 12:08 PM
    Clarification
    What your lawyer was advising you that as you send in the forms make sure that the proper certificates are filed with the corresponding forms, if not, this will cause delay,
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Oct 18, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Goals
    What is your goal as far as his status goes? Is he trying to become a citizen? Just wants to work? Is he going to stay here permanently?

If your goal is for him to become a permanent resident, then you would have to file a petition to adjust his status, along with other forms you may need. I am a lawyer, but I don't practice in this area. What I can tell you is my experience from successfully adjusting my wife's status.

Check this site:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

We filed :

1. I-130 - Petition for alien relative

2. I-765 - Application for employment authorization

3. I-131 - Application for travel(if you want to be able to leave the country while your applictation is pending)

We filed these documents, and got her travel and work documents within 2 months. We didn't get an appointment for fingerprinting, etc. for about 4 months. It has been about a year now, and we haven't had our interview yet, but she is here legally, and that is what matters for now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Lost doing term papers; please help... [ 4 Answers ]

I need a way to do papers... I find my sources good but I don't know how to incorporate it in to a paper... I don't know how to do a page worth of intro... I don't want to plagerize but sometimes I have to.. just with paraphrasions... :(

View more questions Search