Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 17, 2005, 09:47 AM
    For ACLU members
    I want to gather information on what you as ACLU members think the ACLU actually stands for. Please answer without doing research because hopefully you already have as an ACLU member.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Hello:

I'm not a member, actually, but I support their goals. Those goals, as I see them, are the protection of my civil liberties, and yours too.

However, I'll bet you disagree. Cool. Tell me why.

excon
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Hi,
    I am not a member either.
    But, will be interesting to see if anyone is!
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Mar 9, 2006, 09:29 AM
    The ACLU seems, in my opinion, to do to things I can't stand. 1)They violate others' rights to get their own, 2)they choose certain areas of the country where they know is a radical appelate court so they can then file suit against certain things abnusing judicial activism, violating our ideas of a democracy. The proper order of things is in the congress, not a californian appellate court.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 09:38 AM
    Generally far left or far right organizations drive me nuts.

Think I heard once a concern about the lawsuits that they help bring forward. Something about they get a percentage if the case wins money, so the person was questioning if the cause was the driving force or if the ties to lawsuit $$ has become the bigger force.

I'm sorry to say I don't know enough to argue either side. Just a comment I heard once. I'm sure others have better ideas and knowledge.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Hello again, Schultz and you too, kp:

The ACLU does not file injury lawsuits, and does not sue for damages. They sue for changes in the law. They do this by filing lawsuits on behalf of any citizen, in any jurisdiction, when there is a Constitutional civil liberty question. They win some, they lose some, and they don't pick the groups they represent. They pick the causes. Therefore, they have represented the Ku Klux Klan when they weren't allowed to demonstrate in Skokie, Ill. And, they represent blacks who are denied equal education.

I fail to see how filing a lawsuit violates your rights, Schultz. Oh, I understand that's what O'Reilly and that dude Limprod thinks. But they just aren't in touch with reality.

excon
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Yeah... I just don't know enough.

I cannot remember where I heard that comment about aclu being tied to lawsuit $$. Not saying true or false... just a comment I heard one.

Thanks fot the input.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Wow, Excon and I are the same side for a change? Is the world coming to an end?? ;)

I'm not a card carrying member of the ACLU either. I've also said in other threads here, that I feel, they have, at times gone a little overboard in their zeal to protect our civil liberties.

But I would much rather have an overzealous watchdog then one that barks a few times and lays down. If the excesses in the limitations of our liberties by the current administration doesn't convince people that such a watchdog is needed, then your mind is truly closed.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    A couple years ago here in Cols, OH, a convenience store clerk complained of sexual harrassment and discrimination. The ACLU and Jesse Jackson swooped into town and made a HUGE issue of it.

The girl later admitted to making it up.

Sad, sad, sad that they jumped on the media face time as fast as they did.

Did we hear an apology from ACLU or JJ? Of course not.
    Rick, that happens all the time in the courts - it's certainly not restricted to the ACLU or JJ. The girl is to blame not the people who are willing to help her.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 12:52 PM
    It didn't even make it to court due to there being no case to begin with. Yes, the girl is to blame first, but shame on the others for jumping on the bandwagon and making such a big issue over nothing.

In this case, both were clearly more interested in media face time than in justice.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Hi,
    So far, no ACLU members here, only discussions about cases.
    The part about Jessie Jackson isn't surprising. He never misses a camera opportunity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hello Members ! [ 5 Answers ]

I am new to the site and am I looking for suse users. I am trying to install but I am not gettting anywhere. I need help. I put in the drive and opens the folder. Any help David

In dire need of you help here from all of my fellow members [ 12 Answers ]

Is there a way to get a list of Child Physiatrist in New Jersey and if possible a listing of what they deal with, my daughter and I have been every where, most of them are quack, switching medications and messing around her diagnoses none really helping us, only making her feel worse. I want the...

View more questions Search