Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeyshing88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 11:00 AM
    No signal on monitor after building my PC
    Hey, I'm new to the forum here and I have read other people's post about no signals on their monitors however none of the solutions posted actually worked for me. I suppose there must be some explanation to why I'm receiving no signal on my monitor; my computer specs are:

Intel E2160 Socket 775 Pentium Dual Core 2x1.8Ghz 800FSB
    Antec Sonata III Piano Quiet Mid Tower Case With 500W EarthWatts PSU
    OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC
    ABIT IB9 iP965 Socket 775 DDR2 PCI-E 7.1 channel audio ATX
    Pioneer DVR-112DBK 18x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE
    BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB DDR3 DVI PCI-E Graphics Card
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Several people have suggested to make sure my BIOS is set to boot my PCI first rather than the integrated card. However considering I cannot access the BIOS since my monitor has no signal, I can't exactly check that =x . I believe that my BIOS could be set to the integrated card because since I have no integrated card, no putput would be displayed then =/ The rest of my computer works fine, I see all the lights, all the fans move etc but I just cannot seem to get the monitor working. I have checked that my montor does indeed work on my other computer. Anyone know any solutions for my problem?

Thanks in adanced.
    tbakry Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Usually the computer BIOS (Basic Input Output System) will do a POST (Power On Self Test) to see if everything is functioning within normal parameters. If a component system fails, particularly one as important as the Video interface, the BIOS should generate some sort of status message to alert you to the failure. The message is often a series of beeps referred to as a beep code. If your system is not generating any status message, your problem could be one so significant that it is unable to perform that simple series of tasks. Or, it could be fine and your video interface is somehow disabled. Does it say that there is no signal? Could be a problem with the cable or even the monitor port.

Does your monitor support connection test to give you a message when there is no video source?

Cheers,

Tom

Addendum: I suggest that if you have ruled out all the simple stuff, you start removing/disconnecting all of your systems components and see, as you remove items, if the video display will function. The video display does not need any other components to function. No disk drives, no audio stuff and I have even see some systems that are able to drive a monitor without RAM! The problem could be that another component is not properly seated or is defective.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Does your motherboard support AGP cards? If so, you could try that. It may be trying to use the AGP slot, and then you would be able to change it to PCI in the bios.

You could also try unplugging the IDE or SATA cables from all the internal drives. I had a problem with that this weekend... someone had put an IDE cable in upside down (it was one of those cables without the tab on it) and the entire computer wouldn't boot... you'd think it would just not show the drive, but something simple like that can wreak havoc.

Also, this (UnknownReference : The PC Boot Process - Windows XP.) might be helpful in pinpointing where your problem is, depending on if you get any errors anywhere. Note that the video bios is one of the first things to boot... so if you've got another video card around, you might want to try that.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Oct 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Try booting with one stick of ram first. If you can get into bios, set the ram voltage a little higher.

Shutdown. Install the second ram stick, and then reboot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No signal on monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Ok for starters made my computer by myself and it was working for the longest time and then I decided to get a new CPU.. I was going from a Celeron D 3.3ghz to a Pentium D 2.8ghz.. Mobo is a Mach Speed P4MSD-800.. It didn't work got nothing on the monitor screen.. I put the celeron back in and it...

No monitor signal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi people! Once again this common and complex problem. Clues: ~something smells burnt in the tower! But nothing extreme like melt parts etc! ~don't remember what I was doing before on the computer, or if it was working. I woke up and found it like this! ~monitor says no signal, monitor is...

No signal to monitor [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I’m not completely lost when it comes to computers, so a friend of mine asked me to fix his computer and I’m completely stumped. He tried to change his keyboard and when he plugged in the new one there was no longer any signal going from the tower to the screen. I replugged the original key...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

No signal to monitor [ 8 Answers ]

OK like a week ago I unhooked my computer then just awhile ago I rehooked it back up and like the computer starts up and everything its just there is no signal to my moniter and the cd rom drive doesn't open or close and I also can't power the computer down by the power button ihave to turn it off...

View more questions Search