Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Tea staining
    If I stained an item (probably cotton) with tea would I be able to wash it out? Or would it always be a bit dingy after that? Strange question I know but I'm making a Halloween costume and I want to know whether the item has to be sacrificed.

Red food colouring definitely wouldn't come out would it?

Thanks in advice :D
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 10:59 AM
    ----------------------------------------
    Tea Stain Removal | DoItYourself.com
    Tea stains can be removed by dipping a sponge in white vinegar and applying to the stain. Wash the garment per care label instructions. Don't throw the garment into the dryer, as the heat will set any remaining stains. You can also soak the garment in a solution of 3 cups of white vinegar to one cup of water. Place in a large glass bowl and soak. Then, rub the garment to remove any lingering residue and rinse in cold water. If the stain persists, rub with salt. Rinse, and launder as usual.
    Mix one teaspoon of a mild pH balanced detergent (a mild non alkaline non bleaching detergent) with a cup of lukewarm water
    Blot
    Mix one third cup of white household vinegar with two thirds cup of water.
    Blot
    Mix one teaspoon of a mild pH balanced detergent (a mild non alkaline non bleaching detergent) with a cup of lukewarm water
    Blot
    Sponge with clean water
    Blot
    Note: Always test an inconspicuous area for colorfastness, etc. before treating the exposed area. Also note that certain stains are permanent

---------------------------------------------------------
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 11:01 AM
    ---------------------------------
    How to Clean Food Coloring Stains | DoItYourself.com

NEW Method!

Motsenbocker's Lift Off #3 is a new biodegradable and water based product and is designed to remove most inks, including: indelible ink, permanent markers, fountain tip pens, surgical markers, roller ball pens and ball point pens. It can also be used to remove stains caused by nail polish, blood and hair color. The product can be used on carpets, fabrics, wall covering, metal, formica, clothes, vinyl, plastic, countertops, tools, tile and upholstery. It works better than existing products; it works in the same reactionary time; it is safe on all surfaces; it costs the same or less than other products and it is safe for the user.

Old Method

Our original answer was to see a professional carpet cleaner immediately, but a member, a hairdresser for many years, saw this problem a lot. She said although nothing "always works" especially after it sits for a while, she suggested, dabbing a little h202 (hydrogen peroxide) on a cotton ball and gently rubbing area.

Note: Always test an inconspicuous area for colorfastness, etc. before treating the exposed area. Also note that certain stains are permanent.
    -----------------------------------
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 11:23 AM
    It'll probably be left on for over a week - I've got three parties two halloween and a scifi party within a week. I'm going to be a silent hill nurse so I have to get pretty dirty, blood stains and general dirt. The joys of knowing different sets of people I can get away with wearing the same thing three times!

Here's a pic- not for the faint hearted!
    http://www.silenthillheaven.com/Site...emon_Nurse.jpg

I don't have much money so I'm worried I'll end up ruining a nurse outfit which I can use for medic parties! Maybe it'll be worth it for the desired effect...

EDIT

Where are my manners? Sorry Firm forgot to say thanks, I might try out the above methods on a test piece of cloth to see how effective they are.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 11:27 AM
    That is a very cool costume templelane!
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    It'll probably be left on for over a week - I've got three parties two halloween and a scifi party within a week. I'm going to be a silent hill nurse so I have to get pretty dirty, blood stains and general dirt. The joys of knowing different sets of people I can get away with wearing the same thing three times!

Here's a pic- not for the faint hearted!
    http://www.silenthillheaven.com/Site...emon_Nurse.jpg

I don't have much money so I'm worried I'll end up ruining a nurse outfit which I can use for medic parties! Maybe it'll be worth it for the desired effect...

EDIT

Where are my manners? Sorry Firm forgot to say thanks, I might try out the above methods on a test piece of cloth to see how effective they are.
    You are welcome...

:( I could not access the costume link though.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 02:41 PM
    ^^^hmm don't know what's wrong, works for me. If you want an idea just Google silent hill nurse and then click images and you'll probably get an idea! My boyfriend is going to be pyramid head (also form the film/ game), I've got my work cut out on that costume.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Found it!

Do you really think those stains will come off?? :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 03:03 PM
    I don't know, I'm an optimistic person. OK I've decided not to but an expensive costume, if the postal strike ever ends eBay will be my friend. Either that or I'm sewing it myself.

The film really scares me, but it is halloween so I thought it would be a good idea. I think I've either been a priate or a vampire for the last five years so I thought I would push the boat out as it's my flatmates 21st (he's the flat baby!)
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 03:06 PM
    How about flea market?or thrift stores..
    They might have a white uniform type thing?
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 03:09 PM
    -----------------------
    Nurse Costumes - LoveToKnow Costumes
    Don't Buy It… Make It!

If time is a factor and money is not, nurse costumes can be purchased from any number of costume stores either locally or online such as at Halloween Mart and Annie's Costumes. However, for anyone who has a little bit of time to spare, a nurse uniform can be easily pieced together with minimal effort.

A white dress, white skirt and white shirt, or white pants and white shirt can all be used to create a nurse's outfit. If all white pieces are not owned, they can be borrowed or possibly purchased from a local thrift store.

A white bandana can be placed on the head to give the illusion of a nurse's hat, and white shoes with white tights or socks can also be worn. A traditional nurse's hat can be easily made by following a few directions. Free patterns are available at Make Your Own Nurse Cap.

If you don't own a pair of white shoes, take a pair of old shoes and spray paint them.

Remember that the most important part of a nurse outfit is the accessories. Make sure to borrow a real stethoscope or wear a fake one, and try to carry some silly props to make the costume a bit more entertaining.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I just could not resist this article.
    Hope it helps you not spend too much money and/or stain a good, nurse's outfit!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stripping paint and staining [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a home that was built in 1910. The front door has windows above the door and along the side of the door. The entry way is hard wood floors. But around the window and the door has been painted white. The question is, could I remove the white paint and bring back a more natural wood...

Wood Staining [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had a headboard stained and after the topcoat dried it was very sticky to the touch. The same products were used earlier on other furniture with not problem. What causes this? How can I get rid of the sticky residue?

Staining our side of the fence [ 5 Answers ]

Is there an easy and careful way to stain a fence without getting the stain on the neighbors side of the fence?

Concrete staining [ 3 Answers ]

Can concrete be acid stained with fiber mesh in the mix.

Siding staining [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older house built in the 40's with 12 inch beveled cedar siding. Under this is the old traditional 3/4 inch shiplap. Over the shiplap is tarpaper. I have noticed weeping and dark stains on the siding and would attribute this to probably no vapour barrier. What can be done, if...

View more questions Search