Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pixie55805 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Identification of New Find
    While in the North Dakota Badlands I found a hollow in a hill with what appears to be to me a bone. It is encased in sandstone about 20 feet below the top of the hill and 15 feet into the side of the hill. The piece that was exposed to air was soft and appeared to have a silver colored center where marrow may have been. I have chipped away about 8 inches of sandstone and it seems to be thicker and no longer soft. It seems to be light brown and of unknown length or size. Who would I send a sample to that could verify if this is a bone of some sort, and possibly how old a bone?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Do not try to get a sample. The item has much more value (scientific) as a whole. If it were me I would expose as much of it as possible without breaking it, take plenty of pictures, and send them to the nearest University Paleontology department for identification and information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identification of Three Old Movies [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to identify several movies. The following paragraphs describe some scenes and plot elements I remember from each movie. Thanks for any insights or answers. 1) Starts with a man on an old sailing ship receiving 20 lashes. A bucket of salt water is thrown on his back. His scars...

Identification [ 5 Answers ]

Here is a picture of a pump installation of some sort in my basement. The basement is 1/2 underground. There is a pump inside that seems to be stuck running. It has been running consistently for several hours. The house (and I assume) the pump is about 16 years old. Does this appear to be a...

Help Movie Identification [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to ID an animated feature about two dragons I saw as a child. There is an old, wise dragon and a young dragon who is something of an apprentice. Part of the plot has them preparing to fight an evil ogre. The older dragon teaches the younger how to fight the ogre, but when the younger...

View more questions Search