Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btippery Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 05:58 PM
    HIPAA Violation?
    If a manager mentions a health issue that an employee had before (cancer) to another employee or accuses the employee who had the illness that the former illness is effecting her judgement at work, is that a HIPAA violation?

If not, is it a law violation. If yes, which one and is there a remedy that the person can seek?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Does this person work in a medical setting?

If what was said is untrue it sounds more like slander than HIPAA.
    btippery Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 06:13 PM
    No, the person doesn't work in a medical setting. The employee did have cancer and is now cured, so the statement was not untrue.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 06:17 PM
    HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

So medical records were not being discussed only a patient's condition. Please correct me if I am wrong there.

I don't see that HIPAA laws were violated since there was no specific disclosure of medical records by a medical professional in a medical setting.

While it may be possible, you are walking a very fine line there and chances are HIPAA was not violated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lives at an assistant living facility. A nurse came into the dining room and changed her medicine patch at the table. Is this a violation of the HIPAA privacy regulations?

HIPAA Violation? [ 7 Answers ]

My Mom works for a home health agency. When she did home visits, she became good friends with one of her patients and his wife. She now does chart review in the office. While reviewing charts, she saw a note in "Bob's" chart that his caretaker (wife) had unexpectedly died. She is also friends with...

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search