Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frohme Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2005, 11:59 AM
    Number of circuits…
    I’m in the process of remolding my basement, basically 2 20x20 rooms. My question is how many separate circuits do I need for the electrical. All I’m talking about is lights and general use outlets. Could all the lights and outlets be on one circuit, or should they be separated? By room or by function (outlets and lights)? The lights will be the smaller (3 inch?? ) flood type lamps.

Thanks

Scott
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2005, 12:26 PM
    Unless you plan a giant entertainment center or computers, I think one for the all the lights and a second one for the outlets will be enough. Might not start running wires until tkrussel confirms this.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2005, 02:11 PM
    As a minimum guide line, code requires no less than 1-20 amp circuit, or two 15 amp circuits. Installing more than code requires is recommended, and practical.

Depending on the use of the rooms, will dictate how many circuits are needed. This is a judgement based on proposed use of each room. If they are bedrooms, One circuit for outlets in each room, and the lights from both on one, a total of three circuits.

Beyond this, really need to know the purpose of each room to help with recommending additional circuits that may be needed, along with any appliances that may be installed.
    frohme Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2005, 04:58 PM
    Thanks for your input guys. Its actually one L shaped room 20x20 each direction. There will be a computer, Tv, DVD palayer but besides that I doubt the outlets would get used much.

Scott
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2005, 05:09 PM
    Two outlet circuits should be fine for what you listed, if plans are for any electric heat uints add another circuit.

One circuit for lighting, unless you plan to have many incandescent high hat recess fixtures. Two are good thou, in event one circuit trips, you will still have light in the room.

Be sure there is at least one smoke detector. hard wired, and preferable connected to other SD in the house.

Seems you have about 50 lineal foot of wall space. You should have no less 5 outlets spaced no more than 12 foot apart. Be generous and add outlets to the locations your equipment will be located, and be sure not all outles are behind furniture. I would have no less than 10 outlets in this room.

Obviously, don't forget telephone and cable is available.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2005, 05:50 PM
    It is easier to run ethernet cable before the walls are finished too. It is easy to fish any cable from an interior wall down to an unfinished basement or crawl space. It is easy to do wall plate ethernet connections without a $35 crimping tool. Difficult to do cable ends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuits [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose that the switch has been closed for a length of time sufficiently long for the capacitor to become fully charged. (a) Find the steady-state current in each resistor. R1=16.00 kΩ, R2=12.00 kΩ, and R3=2.00 kΩ. (b) find the charge on the capacitor. 9.00V, 10.0uC I found part (a) but I'm...

New bathroom circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my 2nd floor bathroom and adding laundry (gas dryer). I replacing old circuits with 2 new circuits. One dedicated to washer/dryer and another for one outlet, 2 vanity lights, 1 general illumination light, and for the exhaust fan/shower light. Can I make one 12/3 run from my...

Kitchen appliance circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I know that 2 appliance circuits are required for the kitchen. Can these circuits also connect to other receptacles such as dining rooms and pantries? Thank you in advance

Testing circuits [ 4 Answers ]

Anybody have creative ideas on how to test light and receptacle circuits in a brand new house that does not have power yet from the utility company. The sub panel is complete with all the wires and circuit breakers connected. All the receptacles and lights switches are installed. Has anyone...

Circuits in Kitchen [ 6 Answers ]

I just replaced my appliances in my kitchen and when installing the Fridge they had to plug it in to a different outlet from before. I didn't think it should share an outlet - but I looked at my circuit box and there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Fridge outlet. The electric range is on it's own...

View more questions Search