Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JulesDP Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Cannot declare Bankruptcy - what now?
    My husband and I have about $170k in debts - we cannot afford all the payments (credit cards, auto loans, student loans, overdue taxes). We contacted a bankruptcy attorney who researched our financials and told us that based on the new regulations we are not candidates for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. My main reason for bankrutpcy is a tax debt of about $95k that my husband incurred b/4 we got married. He was audited in 2002 and the IRS went back 3 yrs, we had moved several times and lost all receipts for 1999, 2000 and 2001. I was told the tax debt could be erased in bankruptcy but he needed to meet several conditions (which he does) . But now it seems we make too much together to warrant bankruptcy (we make a combined income of $98k BUT we live in NYC so we only take home $65k). We will NEVER be able to pay back $95k at this rate. After ALL household expenses we only have about $250 left a month. What are our options?? I'm afraid the IRS will come and just take him away one day! I've been making payments of about $100 a month but that does not reduce the balance at all. HELP!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
    First NO, IRS taxes are seldom allowed to be discharged in bankruptcy, it will be listed but they will protest and it is normally not allowed.

There is chapter 13 where a payment plan is set up. But I would hire an CPA or attorney that does nothing but work with the IRS to set up a settlement, often on 95K debt they can settle for 20 K or so.
    The main issues is to be sure there is no fraud, or no non failure to file, those can be criminal,
    swapwap Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2007, 09:35 AM
    IRS can be very tuff and will FEE you with interest charges to intentionally make it very very difficult for you to ever pay them off. I would check with another attorney and seek cht 13 as well, worst case scenario is that you get a payment plan but within 5 years you'll be done. Do nothing and the IRS will ad so many fees that your end up owing 10X the initial money
    Menard50 Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesDP
    My husband and I have about $170k in debts - we cannot afford all the payments (credit cards, auto loans, student loans, overdue taxes). We contacted a bankruptcy attorney who researched our financials and told us that based on the new regulations we are not candidates for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. My main reason for bankrutpcy is a tax debt of about $95k that my husband incurred b/4 we got married. He was audited in 2002 and the IRS went back 3 yrs, we had moved several times and lost all receipts for 1999, 2000 and 2001. I was told the tax debt could be erased in bankruptcy but he needed to meet several conditions (which he does) . But now it seems we make too much together to warrant bankruptcy (we make a combined income of $98k BUT we live in NYC so we only take home $65k). We will NEVER be able to pay back $95k at this rate. After ALL household expenses we only have about $250 left a month. What are our options??? I'm afraid the IRS will come and just take him away one day! I've been making payments of about $100 a month but that does not reduce the balance at all. HELP!!
    You need to drop your income - they leave no option, someone needs to quit their job.
    swapwap Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Welcome to social engineering. It's a stupid law. Similar to situations where family's who want to send family members to school don't qualify for student grants and assistance until someone quits working, often with combined income of 50K, which isn't crap. Yet if you an immigrant or on a green card you can go for free. Go figure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Declare bankruptcy if moving out of country? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a Canadian moving to the U.S. and can't afford to pay my debts. My total debt is around $17,600. I need to know if I should declare bankruptcy since my credit doesn't follow me to the US (as stated to me in an email from one of the Credit bureaus here in Canada).

If I declare bankruptcy will I lose my mobile home? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in some real financial trouble. If I declare bankruptcy will I lose my home? It is paid for free and clear. What else can they take from me?

Where do I declare my moving expenses check? [ 1 Answers ]

I was given a separate amount of money by my employer (a separate check) to use for moving expenses. This was NOT included in the total wages line on my W2. On what line on my 1040 form should I declare this extra income?

Declare bankruptcy? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you declare bankruptcy when you owe 20 000 and if not what do they do,how much do they make you pay per month,can you still put money aside in a bank and what do they take from you.:confused:

View more questions Search