Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Piano Player Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Short Term Disability
    I had neck surgery in August 2007 and will be out of work until Feb. 2008. I received five checks from the insurance company, then they called and stated they had made a mistake and I was NOT eligible for short term disability. Now they want the money back. Of course I have used the money to pay medical bills and am unable to give any money back while Im out of work. Is this legal? Can they really demand the money back even though I was honest about my medical conditions and dates treated before the surgery? It seems that they should just write it off since it was there misttake. What are my options here?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Were you eligible or not? If you took money on false pretenses (i.e. knowing you were not eligible) then you will have to pay it back.
    Piano Player Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 07:15 AM
    To Emland, thanks for answering my question. Short term disability is not my area of expertise and this was my first time trying to use it. I expected Metlife to know if I was eligible or not and trusted them. The payments were an answer to prayer for me. As I said in my answer, I withheld no info from them. Apparently they just messed up and the case worker implied that they mess up all the time by giving someone payments and then saying "whoops, you weren't eligible. We want our money back". I need to know if I have any 'rights' in this situation. Is this legal for them to take back the money from someone who thought they were eligible and was honest about their medical condition?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Hello P:

If you weren't covered, then you have to pay it back. It's a mistake. It's just like if you paid too much by mistake, you'd get your money back. Nobody has the right to keep money under those circumstances. Because you believed them doesn't confer any rights on you.

Yes, they are bad and wrong.

excon
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Sounds like you need to have a discussion with your HR department. Short term disability insurance covers things like surgery in most cases. I would make certain that it does NOT cover your situation before paying them back or making payment arrangements.
    It is time you read your policy from top to bottom and become completely familiar with what it does and does not cover.

And like excon said, if you were ineligible, it was an accounting error and you have to pay it back.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Oct 12, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Sounds strange. They should know pretty quickly if you eligible for payments. What was the reasoning for determining that you were paid in error?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weak short term memory [ 4 Answers ]

I want to improve my memory.I have a good long term memory i.e remember the things very well happened long ago but forget the things of DAY TO DAY daily life.Pls provide the solution

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Short term capital gain [ 3 Answers ]

What makes a short term capital gain qualified?

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search