Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimr5 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
    New double sink, disposal, dishwasher - old drain pipe location too high?
    This seems like the place to go! I've spent hours reading the posts but can't quite seem to find my exact situation. We are completely remodeling our kitchen and just installed the new double bowl cast iron sink, garbage disposal and dishwasher. All of the information we've been reading, including installation directions for the above items and plumbing books seem to give vague and contradicting instructions. We have a lot of questions! Hopefully the pictures I've attached will work, but here's the general layout:

Large bowl of sink on left, small bowl on right and dishwasher to the right of the sink. We installed the garbage disposal on the left because it is the large bowl and the small bowl is too small to wash out baking pans, etc. It seems like we would want the disposal on the side that will get the most gunk down the drain. Two problems: The drain into the wall is on the far left, just left of the disposal, and the drain is quite high up on the wall. Second problem: The dishwasher is on the right, so the hose comes over to the disposal to drain, then the continuous waste pipe goes back over to the right sink drain. But the wall drain is too the far left, so we have to bring the plumbing back over to the left again - and then up.

Like I said, a lot of questions. First of all, I'm assuming we have to move the wall drain lower which shouldn't be a problem, but I don't think we can move it to the middle of the wall. Does the trap need to be below the wall drain, or should it be below the right side of the sink where the continuous waste is draining? Second, Does the discharge tube on the disposal need to come out and down, or can it go straight across with a slope. The directions made it sound like we could use either, but every picture in our books show it coming out and down? Then how do we get all of the plumbing to meet up and go back to the left to drain out the wall?

I'm sure the easiest thing to do would have been to install the disposal on the right, but it would be very hard to wash anything out on that side. Also, we would still have to carry all the plumbing over to the far left and up. What is the best way to tackle this?

One last minor question. The dishwasher hot water supply line has a lot of excess length. Is it okay to pull it up like we did with the drain hose or is it better to just let it lay kind of coiled up?

I should also mention that I haven't had a sink since Easter, so I'm REALLY anxious to get this figured out as soon as I can!

Thank you in advance,
    Kim
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 04:05 PM
    It looks to me like you can saw off the galvanized drain and move it to the other side without too much trouble -- And lose the 45 where it rolls up off the 90, you don't need that.

And P-traps w/out that telescoping bit in the J-Bend are available at the big box stores, which would probably gain you a good 3 or 4 inches.

Oct 5, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Garbage disposal drain - elbow or straight?
    Thanks for the info. I talked with the hubby and he said the pipe in the wall was what he replaced, so it wouldn't be a problem to move the drain over to the middle. But I'm still not clear on a few things. Does the continuous feed coming out of the disposal need to come out and bend down like I see in so many pictures, or is it okay to go across like we have it in one of the pictures? Also, if we move the wall drain over, it still won't be directly behind the right sink drain (I think there are too many things in the way). It would be between the hot and cold water pipes, so we would still have to attach the trap to it at somewhat of an angle. Is that OK?

Thank you!
    Kim

Oct 6, 2007, 07:23 PM
    You can ignore this for now. I think we got it figured out. It's all hooked up and there are no leaks yet! If we have any problems with anything I'll take a new pic and go from there.

Thanks!
    johnny360 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimr5
    You can ignore this for now. I think we got it figured out. It's all hooked up and there are no leaks yet! If we have any problems with anything I'll take a new pic and go from there.

Thanks!

Glad you got everything working, but you may want to post what your solution was to help someone else in the future... like me haha.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Johnny it is a year old post, I don't think you get a respond, if you have any question please posted, some one will help, thanks.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 05:28 PM
    I see you have No-Hub coupling low inside the wall. Remove it. Install Street ABS 90. That should get you low enough to connect your drain assembly. GD discharge hose looks fine. It should make a high loop than slope to GD so you don't get overflow from the sink - though the house - down to your dishwasher.

Btw: nice and clean plumbing work under your sink !

Oooop, old post... How do they "jump" up to today's date?

Aug 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
    I don't know why I didn't think to attach a picture before I filled the cabinet full of stuff again! We ended up removing the glavanized pipe and capping the original location. Then we moved it over so it came out of the wall just to the right of the garbage disposal. Then we attached a y and have a separate trap coming from the garbage disposal and the sink basin on the right. With the addition of the second trap we were able to run the drain straight out of the disposal over to the sink drain just like it looks in the second picture. The setup looks pretty similar to that picture except the trap gets connected to a y where it is shown ending in the picture. Sorry, but I forgot all the "technical" terms. If I think of it sometime when my cabinet is emptied out I will take a picture and add it to this post.

Hope this helps someone!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Kimr5: please, come back with post of final visual. We all learn from these experiences. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher won't drain, just installed new g.disposal. [ 5 Answers ]

I recently installed a new sink and garbage disposal. The new sink has a new faucet too with a sprayer where there was an AIR GAP on the old sink. I just used the dishwasher for the first time since installing new things. I left the room and when returning when the dishwasher was done there was...

Garbage disposal side of the sink won't drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly the side of my kitchen sink that contains the garbage disposal won't drain. The garbage disposal is empty, it seems to work just fine and the other side of the sink drains beautifully. Plunging doesn't work because of the dishwasher run-off vent. Am I safe in assuming that the clog...

Sink drain under dishwasher [ 6 Answers ]

My sink drain pipe (going into the floor) is underneath my dishwasher. I just found this out since I am replacing with a new one. Is it dangerous or anything? I can't afford to relocate the DW or sink drain pipe. What's a good solution? Basically the sink and cabinet are next to the DW as normal...

Kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I have an aunt who lives in Florida that has a garbage disposal and a dishwasher. She says she doesn't use the disposal, but it has been used in the past(about 2 or three years ago by previous owners) She is getting a bad smell in her dishwasher. Can you tell me what would be causing it?

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search