Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btucker Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Post Stump
    I placed 4x4 post in the floor of my barn for the purpose of crosstying horses in the gromming stall. After tying the second horse, she freeked out and broke one of the posts. It broke even with the concrete floor and now I need to remove it. I have tried screwing in a 10" lag bolt and using a chain and jack to start removing it. Howver, the lag bolt pulls out. The post is about 4' in the ground and I drove 2 10" spide into the sides that are in the concrect. There is about 6 to 8" of concrete around the post and then a 4" slab further away from the post. Any ideas about removing it. I then plan to replace it with a 12' piece of 2.5 inch square tubing. That is about a quarter of an inch thick. Any suggestions about intalling the tubing? Thank for you help.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 5, 2007, 07:26 PM
    as for the removal of the 4x4, I don't think that will happen, if you'd ask how to install that post to begin with I would have gave you the same answer as what you did, you done that right and even a little over kill, it want come up without busting up the concrete. If it wasn't 4ft in the ground it be different ,but seeing as it is your guess is as good as mine,

as for the metal tubing, can you weld? Id weld it to a plate with bracing and anch bolt it to the concrete, it would also help if you could anchor it to the ceiling joist some way also. Goodluck
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Galvine , gave you good advise, But Being for full grown horses, I would have used a 6"X6" , instead of a 4x4.Even spooked I believe that would have not broken . A not spooked can easly pull a car or truck out that is stuck in mud. If you decide to cut out the concrete ,cut a 2'x2' hole around the old post, dig it out and replace with size I susjested or even a 8x8, I do not think that a 2" square tubing 1/4" would just bend. I hope this solves your problem, HORSES< ARE VERY STRONG EVEN WITH OUT BEING SPOOKED . Talk to your vet< to what he (or) she thinks:::: f.b.e.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 08:56 PM
    This is what I came up with. Use a well drill bit. Lone Star Bit : Drag Bits , Drilling Rigs, Drill Pipe, Tool Joints, Mud Rotary
    coloreal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by btucker
    I placed 4x4 post in the floor of my barn for the purpose of crosstying horses in the gromming stall. After tying the second horse, she freeked out and broke one of the posts. It broke even with the concrete floor and now I need to remove it. I have tried screwing in a 10" lag bolt and using a chain and jack to start removing it. Howver, the lag bolt pulls out. The post is about 4' in the ground and I drove 2 10" spide into the sides that are in the concrect. There is about 6 to 8" of concrete around the post and then a 4" slab further away from the post. Any ideas about removing it. I then plan to replace it with a 12' piece of 2.5 inch square tubing. that is about a quarter of an inch thick. Any suggestions about intalling the tubing? Thank for you help.
    ! Thought occurs, cut off the 4x4 flush with the floor - lag back into its center using as long of a lag as you can get with a stack of heavy washers on it so that a solid stub sticks up that you can put the tube over. This might work providing you can make the top immobile against the ceiling. I have never worked with horses and having read Flying Blue Eagle's answer makes me wonder about my own answer. coloreal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I related to Patrick Stump ? [ 2 Answers ]

Could u find out if I'm realted to Patrick Stump, he's the lead singer in a band called fall out boy ?:)

Tree Stump Removal [ 6 Answers ]

I have a large (2 1/2 foot radius) maple tree stump that is about 1 foot above the ground which I want to remove. I had one removal company come in and quote a $750 price to grind it - which I thought was rather high so I would like to explore other ways of removing the stump at a much lower cost....

View more questions Search