Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexefx Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... not back to back config however
    My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years.
    I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper -

I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only.

The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and full hot pressure. I notice the shower only 1600 is now beginning to loose cold water pressure .

On Delta's recommendation I replaced both pressure balancing spools and catridges ($95 total for both) this had no effect.

I have never had issue with cold pressures anywhere else in the house - other than my washer
    (per Tom's previous posts I have a few ideas to check)

I really apreciate any insight or sugestions for checking. I am no plumber, but a fearless DIY!

Tia

Alex
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2005, 04:00 PM
    Hi Alex,

When you had the valves apart did you flush out the supply lines and check the cold water inlet ports of the cartridges? I have a hunch you drew sand up in your system and now it's blocking your tub and shower valves.
    You have plenty of pressure and your house isn''t old enough to have pipeing problems so that's where I'd start. Good luck, Tom

Oct 15, 2005, 05:45 PM
    Tom- What I didn't know how to do was flush them. The spool had the acess to flush - the only other thing I have for flow adjsutment is trims on both hot and cold. The cartridge is about 1 inch behind the tile surface - I didn't know how to raise the house pressure slowly enough to flush, but not so quick as I'd flood behind the wall. Should I raise 20 lbs or so in the house and the remove the spools and cath the flush with a towel? Sorry If I am dense.

Thanks so much!

Alex
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2005, 06:31 AM
    Good morning Alex,

I couldn't pull up a view of a 1600 series but did manage to come up with this.
    Is this close to yours? If it is then shut off the water and remove the parts from the handle down through the seats and springs and then flush out the supplies. Let me know. Tom

Oct 16, 2005, 07:00 AM
    I am so on it - that's very close to what I have. I will do it this afternoon, hopefully on both units / Thanks so much Tom - I'll report back when Its completed.

Oct 16, 2005, 11:03 AM
    Tom -
    Fully dismanteled both 1600's and with returned wrater pressure a steady small stream pours from both faucets. I tried indiviually pluggung the holes the springs were in with my finger. When I plug one I get a real healthy hot water stream, and when I plug the second hole I get no stream at all. I am about to reassemble and test again.

EDIT - Assembled

Tom you are 100% the legend you've been made out to be. I have both hot and cold pressure in shower /tub configuation. The shower only has total hot and cold pressure. YOU DA MAN! :D

I installed a euro showerhead due to lack of flow in the shower only when I moved in. I am on my way back to the hardware store to buy a normal showerhead - as my front shower/tub flow is NOW way stronger than my shower only!

I also disconnected and flushed the hoses and supply ports to the washing machien - the intake strainer screen (cold side) was full of crunchy deposits and loaded with Teflon tape shavings... Someone didn't flush the washer's lines before the installed the washer.

Thank you SO much

Alex

PS I moderate a cite of my area of expertise, and its really rare to find people who know exactly what they are talking about in the automotive tuning commuinty. You more than certainly do in the plumbing arena! THANKS AGAIN!
    jayhawkker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 01:26 AM
    Esp. In a high mineral content water area, these shower heads need to be scrubbed out with a strong bristle brush or even soaked in hot water and vinegar .This can double the volume.

Jan 23, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Never thought of this till now, but the precense only in my hot water lines... made me think my waterheater was breaking down. It was 17+ years old -replaced I - I will report back if they clog again... but hopefuly not.

If anyone else has this issue, remove the hot and cold water trim screws - take the entire trim valve out. Flushes the most effectivly.

By the way - drain house water pressure before disassembly!

Alex

May 7, 2013, 07:06 AM
    Tom,

I know its been ages. Are the hot and cold trim valves universal? I have one leaking, and I am thinking of redoing all 4 (2 faucets). Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No pressure to cold water in bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I had a Moen Faucet connected in my wife's tub about a year ago. It's been working great but the last three weeks or so It seems the cold water pressure is dropping dramatically. Hot water runs fine. This is the only faucet in the house that has this problem. I've already cleaned the aerator...

Cold Water Pressure [ 5 Answers ]

I have no cold water pressure in my bathtub faucet. I live in an older house which seems to have been built by a couple of guys in their spare time. I don't know anything about plumbing. I read some posts water pressure but was pretty confused. Is there some kind of cartridge I have to clean? ...

Hot & Cold Water Pressure An Issue [ 3 Answers ]

We recently bought a house. Our water pressure is terrible and the hot water is even worse. :( (Basically dribbles out.) Are the two problems correctable by adjusting the "cut-in, cut-out" pressure? The well is about 50 feet from the house. Pressure tank inside the house in the basement which is...

No cold water pressure in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved in a month ago and from the beginning and the water pressure on the cold water side in the kitchen faucet is very low. The hot water is normal and all the other faucets seem to have normal pressure. Any suggestions?

No Cold Water Pressure - Hot works great! [ 3 Answers ]

Usually I know it's the other way around but in our house we have really low water pressure.. but only with the cold. The most noticeable effect is when we try to use the kitchen sprayer with the cold water and it just dribbles out. When we use it with the hot, it works fine. What could be wrong...

View more questions Search