Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownmthm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2005, 12:04 PM
    Crankshaft Pully Bolt
    Trying to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt on a 87 Honda accord. Can't find away to hold the pulley and turn the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Oct 15, 2005, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brownmthm
    Trying to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt on a 87 Honda accord. Can't find away to hold the pulley and turn the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.
    Have you tried putting the car in 1st gear before trying to loosen the bolt?
    brownmthm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2005, 03:49 PM
    I have the car in park will that work the same way? It is an automatic.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Oct 15, 2005, 04:26 PM
    I have the car in park will that work the same way? it is an automatic.
    I have no idea, I've never even driven in a car with automatic transmission, let alone work with one. Try putting it in all possible gears though.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2005, 06:15 PM
    You can't do it that way with an automatic. Not sure what you do. Does the vibration damper have holes in it to fit a spanner wrench?
    neckbroke Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Remove the belts from the pulley(s), wrap a rag around the pulley.
    Find a chain wrench that will fit around the pulley and secure that.
    This will hold it still.
    If you can't find a chain wrench, try a tie down strap with a ratchet to tighten.
    Then a piece of something for the ratchet mechanism to jam in to.
    Use an impact type wrench to loosen to bolt if possible. A breaker bar with a piece of pipe (cheater bar) for some extra leverage may work.
    I would not recommend trying to start the engine with a breaker bar and socket attached to the bolt, lot's of room for much injury and destruction there.
    The next step is to remove the pulleys from the damper I am supposing, and then the damper from the crankshaft end. You'll need a steering wheel/damper puller for that part of the equation.
    Good luck, it's a job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Stall bolt down Drains [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the process of redoing my shower and have removed all the material from stud to stud and down to the subfloor. I would like to replace the shower stall drain portion that is under the subfloor without ripping out the entire subfloor to get to it. My question is, is the portion of the drain...

Foundation j bolt retrofit [ 4 Answers ]

House has never had any tie down j bolts on The mud sill. However concrete blocks are hollow and usually They fill down two blocks with mortar and place the J bolt in the wet mortar poking up through holes You bore in the mud sill. Can I cut out the face of the block on one web, Put the j...

View more questions Search