Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilrock77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Associates Degree in Nursing (ADN)
    Hello, Has anyone found a good school online for an Associates in Nursing? Or at least start Nursing prerequisites? Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Do you alrerady have your RN ?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Read through the following:
    How Do I Get an Online Associates Degree in Nursing?
    Online Nursing Degree Guide: Online Associates Degree in Nursing
    Any online LPN or ADN programs out there? - allnurses.com Nursing for Nurses

Schools offering Online Nursing Programs

Several institutions of higher education are now offering online programs. A few examples of schools that offer online nursing programs are as follows:

American Sentinel University
    Colorado State University
    Drexel University
    Grand Canyon University
    Jacksonville University
    Kaplan University
    National American University
    The College Network
    University Alliance

Check each one thoroughly for accreditation.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 06:21 PM
    I also found this article: Online Education in Nursing
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Personally, and I am in an ASN program (Associates of Science in Nursing), I would NOT go through an online program. There are very few, if any, that are accredited in the first place, and in the second place you cannot do your clinicals online. Clinicals must be done in a hospital setting with real patients.

I attend lecture a minimum of twice a week, the hours vary, and clinicals (in a hospital setting) at least once per week, depending on the particular cirriculum.

It may sound harsh, and I apologize if it does, but I would not want a nurse working on me or my child who has been through a school that is not accredited nor has been through appropriate clinicals.

(I learned this through my chemistry professor who will not have a nurse work on anyone in his family if they cannot answer a simple chemistry question)
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    American Sentinel University
    Colorado State University
    Drexel University
    Grand Canyon University
    Jacksonville University
    Kaplan University
    National American University
    The College Network
    University Alliance
    Sorry Shy, but I would not want any nurse who has been through any online degree program for the Associate level nurse working on my family. Most online degree programs for the Associate level do not have adequate clinical (in hospital) time.

Now, it is different for the Bachelor's program once the nurse has already attained her ASN level nursing. Most BSN programs, once the ASN has been achieved, are online.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 06:31 PM
    I agree with you, J. I just posted the answer and the OP can do with it what he/she wants. Online can be helpful for nurses who already hold their degree and want to do some continuing education.
    Expert

Oct 4, 2007, 06:36 PM
    It can be helpful, but I would not rely on it for Associates Degree. Anything beyond an ASN, then yes.

But it is the ASN that you learn how to insert a foley cath, an IV cath, give SubQ meds, NG Tubes, etc. You can't learn this online, only in "the field."

I will be graduating with my ASN in May, then going on for my BSN. I will be completing my BSN online, but I learned my skills in the trenches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bachelor degree in nursing online? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently attending classes at my community college to receive my associates degree in nursing (RN). I would eventually like to obtain a bachelors degree in nursing. I keep hearing that getting a degree for nursing online is a bad idea. I'm not sure why. I'm curious to read some of your...

An Associates Degree in Psychology [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently in classes for a degree in psychology and will be graduating with an associates degree within the next year. I am interested in following up on my education and fascinated in the specific area of neuropsychology. I would like to get my foot in the door with some experience in the...

I just received my Associates in Business. [ 1 Answers ]

And starting my BS in Psychology, and afterwards getting my Master's in Occupational Therapy. I love school, I really do. I just don't know what I want to do in life. When I start working will employers admire the fact that I have a diversity of different degrees, or shun away because of my degree...

Doing a project and need help [ 1 Answers ]

Hey. I am doing a project on sports medicine where I have to "sell" the occupation to my classmates so that they want to do it. But, I need some info. What kind of schooling do you have to go through? I know it depends on your job in sports medicine. What's the average salary? Any good site?...

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

View more questions Search