Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Olzhap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Garnishment of SSI Disability
    If I understand Mr. Yet, 42 USC 407(a) prohibits garnishment of SSI disability for credit card debt. What is the best way to address a credit card company threatening arbitration and eventual court order for garnishment in this circumstance?

My 40-year-old brother-in-law is permanently disabled due to his schizophrenia. His only source of income is his SSI disability. He makes a monthly student loan payment but is unable to pay anything on his credit card debt. The credit card debt is too high for him to make any significant payment even on the interest. (Most of the debt occurred when he was unmedicated and manic.) He is being threatened with arbitration with the intent of seeking a court order for garnishment.

Are there any steps he should take to protect his disability payments or to prevent further threats from the credit card debt holder? (I worry the stress will cause him to relapse.)

Is there any official government publication or court decision that we can consider / cite that teases out the meaning of 42 USC 407?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Your brother has a defense to the claim for payment: lack of capacity to contract. You might use this if he is sued. If you can get medical records, you may be able to persuade the lender of this condition and avoid the suit before it is filed. A lot of lenders and collectors love to make threats and there isn't much you can do other than have the conversations recorded, provided it is legal.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Make a copy of 42 USC 407(a) prohibits garnishment of SSI disability for credit card debt and send it the credit card company, they maybe more helpful after that, once they know you know what the law states. Sent it certified mail with return receipt, never speak to them on the phone, only in writing.
    Brenok Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

Feb 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Read some of the many posts in here about Social Security and other funds that are exempt from garnishment. I agree with Mr. Yet about contacting the CC company. Before arbitration or possibly court, your brother needs to write a letter as soon as possible to the credit card company stating that the only income he receives is from Social Security and cite the law as Mr. Yet provided. Remind them that garnishment from Social Security is a violation of Federal and possibly your state laws. Send it certified return receipt. Keep extra copies as you will need one if it goes further.

So, if it goes to arbitration or court, get further documentation to attach to your letter. If he has an electronic deposit in a bank, print out a statement from the bank if it reflects only an SSI deposit and attach it to your garnishment letter (black out account numbers, private info, etc.) He shouldn't have any other funds deposited in that account. If he has paper checks, he probably has letters from Social Security showing his benefits or go to the local Social Security office and they will verify in writing that he is a recipient of SSI funds (black out private info). He will just need proof to support his cause if it goes further.

One last suggestion is to check your state laws regarding garnishment. Most states have a garnishment exemption form that can be filed in court. Although your brother's case may not go that far, the form is a good sample to start with. Good luck and best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Ssi disability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and filed bankruptcy in 2001 and confident I will win my disability case, can IRS or anyone get any of my settlement or monthly check. Any help will be appreciated

Garnishment of SSi benefits [ 4 Answers ]

I got some helpful advise the other day on what to do about a garnishment of SSI benefits... well I contacted the bank and the were very rude and snotty with me about the matter and told them I would be filing papers against them because the can be held liable for sending the funds to the...

Garnishment of VA Disability Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado. Can you explain how the garnishment system works? Doesn't the company issuing the garnishment have to notify the person before the money is just taken. Can 100% VA Disability Benefits be garnished? My boyfriend had money from his bank account garnished without any notice. ...

Garnishment of disability income [ 3 Answers ]

Can the courts garnish disability income while I'm off work? I was in an accident and will temporarily be living on disability insurance income.

View more questions Search