Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rysco13 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Restraining orders
    Can someone please tell me the steps on how to try to remove a restraining order (I am respondent) and also how difficult it is to win? Here's just a quick summary: My boyfriend and I have been together almost 2 years. Last Oct. he relapsed and some harsh words were said between the 2 of us. He threatened me and I threatened his 5 year old son. Please do not pass judgement. I love his son and said that out of anger. The mother of the son found out I threatened him and said I was not allowed around him any longer. I listened and stayed away because I was afraid she would not let my boyfriend see his son any longer. Well in March she decided to put a restraining order on me (6 months after the fact) to stay away from her and her son. I have never threatened or harmed either of them besides the one time in October (which I have paid the price on). This is becoming exhausting to me. I have to leave my home every time my boyfriend gets his son. I pay the majority of the bills and also foot the bill on the child's clothing/food/toys/misc... Fortunatley my mom lives very close and I can stay with her; however, I have to sleep on the couch and am now having back problems. I never went to the original hearing because I didn't realize how serious this was. Isn't there something I can do? This is my home to and I haven't seen the child for a year now. My boyfriend said the child talks about me constantly. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2007, 11:29 AM
    A restraining order is granted by a judge after a hearing. Where were you when the hearing was held? Get an attorney and challenge the order.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 07:27 PM
    You'll be fighting an uphill battle. The courts take any perceived threats to children quite seriously. Unless the mother is willing, don't count on the restraining order being lifted anytime soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restraining order [ 5 Answers ]

I am currentlly with a man who is married but has been separated from his wife for 2 years. He is finally starting divorce proceedings. When he and his wife first separated she took out a restraining order to the effect that I cannot be around their 3 year old daughter. It has been almost 2...

Restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone get a restraining order based on a threat?

Can I get a restraining order? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband talks to his exwife every few weeks, just a civil "hey how ya doing" kind of thing. I have no problem with this, as we all grew up going to the sames schools etc. His exwife is in a relationship... the relationship that ended her marriage to my husband (she cheated on him and is still...

Restraining orders & a crazy mother [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going to try to make this easy to read & understand. I don't know what to do, what my rights are. Here is my story. *met a single dad in April. His ex-girlfriend, mother of his kids, abandoned their children with him PLUS her 5 year old son from another man *i offered my help and have been...

View more questions Search