Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Oct 5, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Reporting on atheists declaring religion must be destroyed is necessary, in effect declaring war on millions of people of faith, is necessary.
    I always thought that war required soldiers and weapons. When it was still being talked about it was considered debate.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    Moonlitwaves,
    You don't think the fact that atheist are currently the most hated group in a America gives a child pause before he chooses to turn away from religion.
    Atheists are the most hated group in America? I don't hate atheists, I'm not too fond of liberal/progressive moonbats however.

So I don't think it is solely a matter of intellect. At the same time it seems so simple to me that I don't understand why someone can't see it. Group think, conditioning or maybe just the fact that people tend to blindly follow authority, I'm not sure how you would test that.
    We feel the same way, God is so obvious we don't understand why people can't see Him. When it comes to true Christianity, it has nothing to do with group think or blindly following anyone, it is an experience. You don't know God until you experience God.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Atheists are indeed the more intelligent people. (and more courageous people, too) Education is an antidote to belief in the supernatural and superstitious actions and irrational thinking.
    Choux, that's a nice made up fact, completely unsupportable except in your own mind. It seems everyone agrees Americans are behind in education and that would be due to the great dumbing down of America by the liberal elite that balk at testing our children on proficiency or even using red pencils when grading for fear of damaging the poor kid's psyche. In fact, home schooled children have outscored public and privately educated children on the ACT test for the tenth year in a row. Who tends to home school their children more than anyone else? Christians.

Your statistics are incorrect, however. Recently, polls have indicated that 86% of Americans declare themselves to be Christians. Last month, another poll showed that around 80% are Christians. I studied the Newsweek article closely and found it to be quite excellent. I believe that "about 10%" of Americans are declared atheists which has been a stable percentage of population for quite a long time.
    They weren't my statistics.

Some Muslim men are far more violent than Christians.
    Ya think??

Christians inhabit the culture that was the culture of great scientific advancement, great advancement in the arts, in technology, in astronomy and physics, medicine , and everything that makes life pleasurable and alleviates human suffering. In short, Americans are much happier than most Muslims. Muslims can't blame Islam, so they project blame for Islamic culture's failure over the last hundreds of years on others. Remember, Islam is the center of their lives, their society, their culture, their law... *Islam* and Muslim leaders are what failed the people. The twisted thinking of those men-Jihadists who hate to see the lowly place of Islamic cultures compared to other societies on earth have GONE TO WAR to protect the cultures hence religion where men are supreme and exhaulted. (Wrote this paragraph fast so may need editing)
    I actually agree with you on this.

Oct 5, 2007, 08:55 AM
    The problem is that you can't prove the negative. You can't prove that there isn't an invisible, intangible pink unicorn in the room with you because as soon as you devise a method to test for it. Believers will just say that the pink unicorn is above that method of testing as well.

Oct 5, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Atheists are the most hated group in America?
    There have been several polls that say that Americans would elect anyone of faith over atheist. Of course and then there is the first G Bush that said that he didn't think atheist deserver to be citizens. Never heard a president say that about another group before.

Of course I try not to use poll data too much. Since depending on how you ask the question you often get a completely different answer even thought they tend to be same question just with different wording.
    Christopher Brophy Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Oct 5, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Religion Must Be Destroyed, Atheist Alliance Declares

No word on whether or not tolerance was a subject of discussion although one of the speakers at the conference, Sale McGowan, believes "humility is the natural inheritance of atheism." I'm not sure one reconciles these "bright" atheists pronouncement that religion must be destroyed with the pronouncement that "humility is the natural inheritance of atheism." Anyone? Or is it all just an atheist aversion?

Also, is anyone out there in fear of moderate Christians taking the next step and blowing themselves up, or is Harris right in that "Christians had a right to be outraged when the media treated the two religions similarly?"
    Are you OK?
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Hey! That's verbatum what I heard on the radio yesterday evening! :D
    I assure you I didn't plagiarize... I get the DNC emails so I can know what they're saying. :D

Do you really see this as an immediate and significant threat? The great "Unholy Trinity" have been talking about this for a while now, I don't see it going anywhere.
    Whether it's going anywhere or not, that's the kind of dangerous, intolerant nonsense that needs a response.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:10 AM
    There have been several polls that say that Americans would elect anyone of faith over atheist. Of course and then there is the first G Bush that said that he didn't think atheist deserver to be citizens. Never heard a president say that about another group before.

Of course I try not to use poll data to much. Since depending on how you ask the question you often get a completely different answer even thought they tend to be same question just with different wording.
    I think, Michaelb, that Americans - even Christians - are far more tolerant than we're given credit for. That's why it gets under my skin so much every time I see the race card played. A poll that says Americans would elect anyone over an atheist doesn't mean atheists are the most hated group in America. It just means they would prefer someone else running the country.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    I'm in fear of christians taking the next step & blowing themselves & others up. Have you not heard of the far right & what they believe in ? You probably believe the far right is harmless, but they want to turn America, indeed, the world, into a totalitarian theocracy where there is no religious liberty except for christians, no free speech, & no separation of church & state. I'm in fear of muslims for the exact same reasons. I, however, am not an atheist. I believe in the Deist God. Also, not everyone in America who believe in a God are christians.
    Please, no rhetoric, no conjecture, no assumptions, no theocracywatch.org nonsense. The idea that Christians want a theocracy as you describe it is entirely contradictory to our faith, and we as well as anyone understand that if you don't have the right to worship or not as you choose, then neither do we. People get all bent out of shape because we stand for something, like not killing children before they're born, which interferes with someone's "choice." The fact of the matter is, it isn't only Christians that support laws that reflect their values, everyone does. Christianity may want to win the world, but by winning your hearts and minds over to the love of God with a choice that you make. We aren't into suicide bombs and totalitarianism in spite of what you hear or fear.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    I can assure you there is a 0% chance of me blowing my self
    up!
    Glad to hear it. I'll make the same claim so that makes at least two of us. :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    Oh... I do love reading these posts! But let's all stick to logic? Fact? Oh wait we can't discuss religion with logic and fact! Sorry everyone please continue.
    What makes something logical? I'm supposed to believe it's logical that the oceans could rise up to 7 meters due to global warming, based on computer models, inconsistent studies and just plain bad science. That's not logical to me.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I always thought that war required soldiers and weapons. When it was still being talked about it was considered debate.
    a. A condition of active antagonism or contention: a war of words; a price war.
    b. A concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious

When someone says "science must destroy religion," that's a declaration of war in my book.

Oct 5, 2007, 03:09 PM
    a. A condition of active antagonism or contention: a war of words; a price war.
    b. A concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious

When someone says "science must destroy religion," that's a declaration of war in my book.
    Okay by that definition I guess it is a declaration of war. Sucks to be you guys by our own admission we have all the smart people on our side. :D
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 03:53 PM
    It has to be something other than intellect the separates us because Firm you might be smarter than me I don't know you certainly write better than I do but when I look at religion it seems simple I dismiss all faiths equally. It just doesn't seem logical to not do so, how can you dismiss one and not all when all have the same amount of evidence.
    Here is something you might like to read to understand a little of my views, not in my words but this is what I believe.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...tml#post651250
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Okay by that definition I guess it is a declaration of war. Sucks to be you guys by our own admission we have all the smart people on our side. :D
    I see your side is still has work to do on that humility thing. :D
    Antony dot f dot Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Oct 8, 2007, 11:35 AM
    The bible may say the god gives you the right to choose but the church doesn't and have proven many times that they will do what they have to in order to push their belief on as many people as possible.

I hate to talk about evolution again but I think part of the problem people have with evolution is that species are not hard things set in stone. As a species acquires new small traits over hundreds of thousands of years it becomes a new species. Just like mankind took wolfs (Canis lupus) and bred them to (Canis domesticus) and yes I can't observe that cause it takes to long but we have it documented with fossil records of the common dog.
    Evolution may be (infact it probably is) true, but that does not stop christians believing in God. The Bible has stories about how mankind started but these are stories that have morals. And excuse me, but the christian church is not obliging people to 'join them', it is simply trying to spread the 'good news'. The Bible is the base of the christian religion, the christians follow it. You can believe what you want to believe, but you can't say untrue mean things about other religions!

Oct 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony dot f dot
    Evolution may be (infact it probably is) true, but that does not stop christians believing in God. The Bible has stories about how mankind started but these are stories that have morals. And excuse me, but the christian church is not obliging people to 'join them', it is simply trying to spread the 'good news'. The Bible is the base of the christian religion, the christians follow it. You can believe what you want to believe, but you can't say untrue mean things about other religions!
    I try to stay away from untrue things even though something that is untrue has never gotten in the way of christianity before why would it now. As for mean things that is exactly the point of this thread. Is that religion has done many mean things and people ignore it in the name of freedom of religion or because we are worried that some crazy religious person will bomb us for not believing.

Your right the missionaries give native people a choice they can become christian or die because the church only helps the ones that accept Jesus. Sounds like a good choice to me. Of course with better media coverage and things like that they don't do it as much but they still try to strip away the belief of the local culture and teach the children about Jesus. They just don't bother to change the adult religions any more.

Another thing about everyone who says that say god gives free will so you don't have to follow him but in the same breath tell you that if you don't you will burn forever. That would be one the same grounds as saying that you can kill as many people as you want to but were going to kill you afterwards. If you believe it to be true than he really isn't giving you choice now is he.
    Sidious Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 09:47 AM
    I agree completely, and I believe that it will happen too.

People tend to forget the simple fact, We are Humans. :)

Actually for a while now I've disliked all the religion that worshippes a god so much, that I turned to Satanism which only focus on oneself.

Simply I was naively good too much because of christianity, and "wanted" to do the opposite.

Which is a also good in a way, but I felt it was too evil.
    Resulting in it being as bad as every other religion.

So I'm cheering you guys on with your Cause. :)
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2009, 01:12 AM

Frankly I believe in not and NOT in atheism.
    I think it is a farce of the brain to those so afflicted that they can not see all the evidence that there is a God.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 05:02 AM
    Fred, you sign off with "Peace and kindness" yet you decide that everyone who is not like you has "a farce of the brain". That's an example of the hypocrisy that really turns people off religion.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

NK.

P.S. You don't have to believe in atheism, it's OK. Atheist just believe in one less god than you do, we're not that far apart. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spybot destroyed my PC ,help [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Guyz, I'm having serious problems on my computer, after I've ran spybot search & destroy (I) I can't open Adobe Reader documents in I nternet Explorer (ii) Can't open any .exe files display message unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted. Can...

Religion [ 9 Answers ]

Well, I was not raised in church, My in-laws quilted me into it when I was about 21. I believed every thing I heard for years, I tried to "prove" it. I felt like I had to see evidence of the spirit. I rasied two kids in church until they were old even to make up their own mind. THEN I started...

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

View more questions Search