Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rooster197 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 08:35 AM
    IRS Breathing dwn my neck, what should I do?
    I am looking for some guidance... I was in the mortgage banking field from 2001 to 2006... made a lot of money and have only filed taxes up to 2004... I owe the IRS $160,000 in taxes and about $25k to the state... I was laid off by my employer... and am currently receiving unemployment benefits... my house in in foreclosure, and my life is not really good right now... I am working with a Tax relief firm, but don't have the monies to pay for a CPA to complete my 2005 and 2006 returns... I have already requested a hardship relief from them and have qualified, but need to file the 2 years of taxes... I was told if they are not in bu 10/15... the IRS may levy my bank accounts... in that case how do I proceed... Does one suggest speaking with the IRS directly and emplain my situation and ask for more time to get the returns filed??

Please help... Roo:confused: :confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 06:27 AM
    You do not have $250? If you can put together $250, I will prepare the two returns for you. This is not my normal rate for someone with the type of returns you are citing, but I can cut you a break.

If interested, contact me at the email address below.

If not, call the IRS and ask if someone with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program can help you.
    TaxSolution01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 01:58 PM
    Hi Rooster, did you find your resolution?. I am in the same position with freakishly similar industry and financial tax implications, IRS says I owe 160k, worked in mortgage industry, didn't file taxes for 2004, 2005, 2006.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 02:07 PM
    TaxSolution01:

Look at the date of the original post: I doubt that he will answer after 2.5 years.

Second, contact a local tax professional and get help to file the returns. What the IRS did is file the returns FOR you using the worse possible filing options to generate the HIGHEST possible tax. This is done to get your attention, and it has apparently succeeded.

A competent, experienced tax professional (suggest you use an enrolled agent, because an EA can negotiate on your behalf with the IRS) can amend these IRS-generated tax returns and reduced the tax bill significantly, then represent you to get the penalties waived (by law, interest CANNOT be waived).

If the bill is so high that you cannot pay, the EA can also prepare and present an offer in compromise to get the tax bill reduced.

Expect to pay the EA a fee in the $1,000 - $2,000 range, but he/she will EARN the fee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficulty in breathing [ 10 Answers ]

I smoke, and drink large amounts of caffine. At night when I am trying to drift off to sleep I have a terrifying feeling.. on and off for the first hour, it feels like no air is going in my lungs and it feels like my heart stops for around 3 seconds, in response to this horrible feeling I gasp...

Difficulty in breathing [ 2 Answers ]

Good day to you all. I am a 43-old female. I have been diagnosed with Mixed Connective tissues diorder seven years ago. I have been through different phases, non was severe, but all annoying-enough. Working in addition to all social obligtions as a wife and mother, and most of the time you keep it...

2 story house dwn stairs toilets don't flush solids [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house with 3 bathrooms built in 76... 2 days ago the 2 toilets downstairs started to act up and won't complete flush cycle 7 out of 10 times... solids remain... I have a 50' auger and have snaked the line from access outside kitchen wall and also from back center of house. Nothing...

Breathing pain [ 1 Answers ]

Just recently I have had a sharp pain only when I breath in deep, right about the center of my chest right about where the center of the rib cage ends, but no numbness or anything in my arm, anyone think they might know what it means?

Milk and breathing [ 2 Answers ]

I drink a LOT of milk and I have been told that this can affect my breathing. Is this true because I do run out of breath easily?

View more questions Search