Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morland Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 07:02 AM
    How to secure my wireless network?
    Hello.

I have a D-Link DIR-635 wireless Router and my setup is very simple i.e. I have broadband and have a Ethernet cable going from the cable modem to the router. The router is NOT connected to any PC/Server.

I can access the router and use the internet. However, I get a message that my network is unsecured and this concerns me even though I have firewall software installed on my 2 PC's (both of which can access the network with the setup explained above).

How can I "secure" my network? Can someone please help and guide me.

Thanks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 07:05 AM
    There are a few ways. The first is to enable encryption, the other is to set the MAC addresses of the computers allowed on the network. Both should be detailed in the guide that came with your router.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 07:45 AM
    I would recommend that you enable WPA protocol, this restricts devices to have a password in order to access the router...
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    I would recommend that you enable WPA protocol, this restricts devices to have a password in order to access the router...
    Yep, that's the encryption I spoke of.

Oct 4, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies :)

Oct 5, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Hi all,

Though I have secured my network but there is one question that came to my mind and I'll appreciate your reply so that I can better understand things:

Since I have given the MAC Addresses of the PC's and have also set the admin password for my router, what is the purpose and advantage of setting encryption on the router when this wireless network is going to be used in home??

A related question is that wouldn't setting encryption have an overhead and thus somewhat/slightly/significantly (not sure which one is true?? ) slow down the performance when using the web?

Will appreciate your reply.

Thanks.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 05:44 PM
    The encryption protexts your network from dive-by people jumping on to it, they would have to know that long key to access your network. You are somewhat correct in thinking that limiting access by MAC address already secures your network but a dedicated person can clone a MAC address to gain access. Multiple layers of security are recommended. I don't find that the encryption gives any noticeable lag but I have fairly recent hardware.
    tbakry Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 05:53 PM
    The encryption not only protects your network from unauthorized access but also protects your computers and the data that you are transmitting and receiving. If you send everything in the clear, anyone who can be in range to receive the transmissions can eavesdrop and interpret/mine the information to obtain accounts, passwords and other goodies. They do not have to pass traffic through your wireless router. The MAC address filter only prevents machines that are not pre-authorized from passing traffic through the device. Incidentally, if your traffic is unencrypted, a wily hacker can eavesdrop, learn your authorized MAC addresses and then spoof them to set up any kind of connection they desire.

Not all of these are terribly likely in your typical bedroom community, but, if you were on a college campus...

Tom
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 6, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Addressing the question of overhead, there is a little, but it's not really enough to make a difference on today's internet connections.
    Aditya619 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    There are a few ways. The first is to enable encryption, the other is to set the MAC addresses of the computers allowed on the network. Both should be detailed in the guide that came with your router.
    how do u do that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Wireless Network [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a wireless enabled laptop and I purchased a Netgear router which came with a free adaptor (which I shouldn't need). I configured the router but cannot get my laptop to access wireless without using the adaptor. The laptop is definitely wireless enabled and I have checked for on/off...

Wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

How do you set up a wireless card

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

Secure wireless network setting [ 3 Answers ]

I am using a wirless router and sharing the internet connection between the desktop and laptop, how to set up the secure network on the wireless router to prevent the unauthorized user to logon to my wireless network to shared the internet connection... pls help.

View more questions Search