Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jianfish Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2005, 10:48 AM
    Wireless network security
    I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure.

Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it affects my connections and the speed quite abit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2005, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jianfish
    I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program i could use to make it secure.

Also, i rather not use the WEP provided coz it affects my connections and the speed quite abit.
    Use MAC filtering. Every PC has a unique MAC address. By allowing only listed MAC addresses you prevent most people from accessing your network.

Oct 14, 2005, 07:51 PM
    How do I set the MAC filtering and how do I find the MAC of my computer.

Is there a step by step guide for it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2005, 05:10 AM
    How you set it depends on the Access point or wireless router you are using. You have to go into the device setup. The device manual should have instructions on how to do that.

To find your MAC address there are several ways. One would be to go to Start/Run and type CMD to get a command prompt. From the Command prompt type ipconfig /all. One of the items will be Physical Address which is your MAC address.

Oct 23, 2005, 06:17 AM
    All right. Thanks for the help. Finally figured out my WEP. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Network installation [ 8 Answers ]

I have just purchased a router and 2 laptop cards. Does anyone know of an 'idiots' guide to installing the equipment. I really do mean an 'idiots' guide including every single step. I can get nowhere with the instruction manuals that come with the hardware

Wireless network problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 pc's in my wireless network all running XP Home. They all used to have access to my base station printer but now they can't because the base station can't find them. I've tried a few things in the "windows setup a wireless home network" and "network places" and other programs but my base...

Wireless Security [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed a Linksys WRT54GX2 router. Connected to two (2) PCs running Windows XP SP2 and one (1) running Windows 2000. I have set up MAC filtering but nothing in addition. I have read where Windows 2000 is not compatible with WPA. Do I just set-up with WEP and MAC filtering...

Wireless network expansion [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Netgear MIMO 108mbs router and 2 54mbs cards on laptops. I live in a log house and my office is upstairs. No problem with access downstairs and about 60 ft from router. My bedroom and laptop are another 30-40ft from the accessible points. I can get online with slow speed, but keep...

MSN messenger and wireless network [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Not sure whether I should have posted this here or in the network forum! I have intalled a wireless home netwrok and now find that my sons cannpot login to MSN Messenger. It seems to think that I have no connection. I am not a novie but I WOULD NEED TALKING TRHOUGH EACH STEP! I have...

View more questions Search