Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Russell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
    Washer drain overflows
    Hello, My problem is that my washer drain overflows during drain down of washer water. It appears to be a 1 1/2" line and is shared with dishwasher and kitchen sink. There is a crawl space under laundry room and trap is located below floor in crawl space area. My drainage system feeds into a septic system although My toilets flush fine and there is no back-up apparent in tubs. I can hear a gurgle sound in kitchen sink during washer drain-down. Do you have any ideas?

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2005, 02:00 PM
    Hi john,
    You have a partial stoppage in the washer/kitchen drain. To clear this line you must snake the line through the kitchen sink roof vent. If you do the job yourself put out enough cable to reach the base of the vent and about 25' more. Good luck, Tom

Oct 14, 2005, 10:04 AM
    Tom,

Thank you for your speedy response. I will rent snake and run through kitchen sink roof vent.
    I appreciate your time and consideration.

John

Oct 17, 2005, 08:01 AM
    Washer Drain Pluggage
    Tom,

Thank you very much for your advice on my plugged washer drain problem. I purchased a 3/8" X 50' snake from my local hardware store for $15.00 and inserted in through my roof vent. I ran all 50' of snake several times and broke the pluggage free. I will add drain cleaner to system as a preventative measure but was very happy with the inexpensive fix following your professional advice. I'm sure hiring a plumber would have far exceeded my investment in the sewer rodder and my time, and I can now clean it myself in the future if need be.

You're a modern day hero for the regular folks of do-it-yourselfers.

Thanks again,

John
    carrick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Same problem
    Hi:

I have the same issue. But my sink is not vented to the roof. It's only vent is the sink itself and the stand pipe in the basement. There is a vent in the roof, but they never hooked it up and my house is from 1955. I have a floor drain backing up and the straight pipe started overflowing.

AM :confused: :mad:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2005, 07:24 AM
    First of all are you sure your sink is unvented and not just revented in your attic? Every fixture that has a trap MUST be vented. A unvented fixture can allow sewer gas to escape through the trap. Sewer is dangerous to your families health and the methane content makes it explosive.
    Try clearing the line through the floor drain or the washer standpipe and if your sink is not vented get it corrected at once. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer moved now it overflows at the drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just recently moved and installed a washer into a new location. I washed a load in the washer and the drain backed up. I had another washer in the same location, but didn't have any drain problems. Is it my washer, washer hose or maybe my drain is clogged?:confused:

Washer overflows is pvc set up correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi occasionally we will have an overflow from the pvc pipe going to the septic tank. This occurs when we flush the toilet. How are the pvc pipes supposed to be set up? Would it help if I moved the washer upstairs it is in the basement located 1 foot from the septic tank lead in area from basement?...

Washer Overflows [ 1 Answers ]

My washer drain is overflowing on rinse cycle, I have had the lines rotorooted out twice, they went in from the roof. There is a shower on the same drain and no water is backing up in the shower, so I am thinking that the flow is just too much for the drain to handle. I have also run a water hose...

Washer Overflows When Spinning [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a washer and dryer, only to find I can't use them yet. Here is my problem: I live in an older house, not sure exaclty how old (it has a coal shoot) and I have had some plumbing problems. My first level toilet sometimes flushes very slooowly, and sometimes very well. My main drain...

Washer stand-up drain overflows [ 9 Answers ]

The stand up drain for my washing machine spills over the top while draining. The house is on a slab and we are on city sewage. I have had the p-trap replaced (2") and have had all of the vents snaked. If I pause the machine while draining, the water clears immediately so I don't think that there...

View more questions Search