Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewardo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 01:13 AM
    My checks have not been cashed for months, how long am I liable?
    Hello everyone, :)

I am asking this question for my wife. We own two homes one has just been rented out but we still pay the association fees. The problem is that the secretary has been sitting on months of the checks and cashes them randomly. Currently he has the last 5 months of checks sitting at his home. The problem that this causes is that she has no idea when he will cash them, and when he does that means that she needs to have set aside that amount for months in her checking to be ready for whenever he has them processed, also she was considering changing banks but what will happen then?

We are going to be trying to contact him later today to resolve the problem but going by past experience with the association it is quite likely that the problem will continue.

How long after paying without the checks being cashed are we responsible for the debt? If she were to change banks and close that checking account what is likely to happen then?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Ed E.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 3, 2007, 05:54 AM
    What problem should it cause, you know the checks are out, and you merely keep your check book balanced, If they are written in your check book, and it is balanced, you know your available money.

Also if you wish to stop having that issue, merely pay by money order, then the money is out of your account so you don't have the ability to spend it ** if keeping your checking account balanced is an issue to you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Unless the checks have an expiration date on them, then they are forever valid. I would double check this with your bank to be sure. Also whether you can handwrite an expiration date on the check.

If you decide to change banks you will need to leave funds in the old account to cover those checks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Posted dated check not cashed. Been over 3 months now [ 1 Answers ]

A posted dated check of 6 may 07 still hasn't been cashed. Banking institute says its pretty standard across the board that the holder of the check has 6 months to cash it... seems to long and the chances of it getting lost becomes greater any comments?

How to deal with long distance after 7 months together? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for over 7 months and it has been great! The only problem is that now that summer has started (we're in college) he has moved back home and is now 12 hours away. I am very sad to see him go and trying to keep busy. We were going to try to see each other once...

3 months to long for no peroide [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Not Had My Peroide For About 3 Months And A Week. I Took A Preagnecy Test About 6 Times Already And They All Come Out Negative And I Really Scared. What Could Be Worng

How long do I have to pay bounced checks [ 2 Answers ]

I have 700 dollars worth of bounced checks have been making payments can they take me to court Thank you

Cashed out my 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I recently cashed out my 401k,I was 100 % vested I'm 40 yrs old, what are my taxes and pentalties of 15,700 dollars

View more questions Search