Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbuttram Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Can equity line of credit loan balance be frozen and possibly used to pay creditors
    If I continue to pay my home equity line of credit loan and leave an available balance that can be taken out if needed. Is it possible that that available balance can be frozen and if so can it be taken from me to pay other bills?

My bank account was frozen because of a estimated sales tax bill that I failed to file with the state because I was not making enough money to pay bills as it was. I am making car and home equity line of credit payments and feeding my kids. I owe credit cards and am considering bankrupty.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2007, 12:41 PM
    The bank can freeze the line so that it cannot be used if payments are not made. I had a recent incident with WaMu where my payment was lost. The payment was issued by another bank's bill paying service on time and I had proof of that. I called them as soon as I found out it had been lost. But they still charged me a late charge and froze my account until it was bought up to date. I closed that account and transferred it to another bank.

Also, I read recently that one creditor can actually attached unused balances of a HELOC to pay other bills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home equity to pay credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in a home owned by my parents. The remaining mortgage on this house is very low, leaving significant equity. I have significant credit card debt and would like to be added to the house deed so that I can open a home equity account and be able to claim the interest on my taxes. ...

Parents death and Equity Line of Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have quite an interesting situation regarding our home and a Equity Line of Credit against the house. In August 2004 my mother died, and in March 2006 my father passed away. We took care of all of the credit cards and such, however we have been afraid to tell the bank about their...

Parent Death - Home equity line of credit [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: My father died in April. His insurance did not cover his funeral, had to take a loan out to pay for it. Notified his creditors of his death. He had taken out a home equity line of credit on his house many years ago. It has a $40,000 plus balance. In 2000 he transferred his 2 homes into my...

Home Equity loan or Consumer Credit Counseling [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need some advice. I have about 52,000 worth of credit card and loan debt. I have a credit score of 680 which was 721. I am currently with a consumer credit counseling service which I have to pay 1200.00 a month for 4 years. Im having a hard time making that payment! My question is should...

View more questions Search