Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmc77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Co Signer of Car Loan Gone Bad
    Ok so I co-signed for my ex boyfriend over 5 years ago. When we broke up only 3 months after I co signed we agreed to take our cars into our own name. I did this and waited about 6 months before contacting him to see if he was going to take care of this matter. He never did take care of the matter.

About a year ago he up and left (I live in NH and he lived in MA) to Florida not contacting me or letting me know he was leaving with a truck that was still in my name. The late payments started happening and I only found him through email and he would not respond. I filed a report with the police that the truck was stolen so we could find the truck and get things taken care of. When the truck was final found it was inpounded an already had over 1000.00 charge to get it out.

The ex sent me an email saying too bad for me and to deal with it. I had excellent credit and now not so good due to this. He also is very sneaky and no one knows his address to find him.

The company is now calling me to collect the debt not sure if it is actually the Ford Motor Company or a collection agency. I help Ford all along locate and find the truck and it is on record every phone call. The company that I talked to today said they are going to take me to court. Can they do that? Help any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Of course they can. When you co-sign a loan you assume FULL responsibility for that loan in case of default. It doesn't matter whether the car is in your name or not. The only way you would have been relieved of responsibility is if he paid off or refinanced the loan in his name only.

If you want to protect your credit, you have to pay the balance. You can go sue hin for what you had to pay, but good luck collecting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Car Loan [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I Recently Purchased A Used Car, I Owe About 5000 Dollars More Than The Car Is Worth. I Recently Lost My Job. If They Reposses The Car Will I Have To Pay The Difference Or Will That Cancel The Loan Altogether

Car Loan [ 2 Answers ]

My son's "car appetite" has become bigger than his paycheck. When he bought the car 18 months ago, he thought the payment vs. income was OK, now he has other priorities (like rent, planning to marry, etc.) and he wishes his car payment wasn't so large. However, the dealer says his "highly...

Co-signer on Car Loan and Account Garnished [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have just had our joint account garnished/levey yesterday and all the bank would give us was a phone number that was only in operation from 8-5pm. They would not tell us any details only that the account had been garnished. Today we have found out that is for collection of a...

View more questions Search