Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frosst Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 08:34 AM
    real stats/ real decisions
    You work for a manufacturing company as a statistical process analyst. Your job is to analyze processes and make sure they are in statistical control. In on process, a machine cuts wood boards to a thickness of 25 millimeters with acceptable margin of error of +/- 0.6 millimeter. (Assume this process can be approximated by a normal distribution.) So, the acceptable range of thicknesses for the boards is 24.4 millimeters to 25.6 millimeter, inclusive.
    Because of machine vibrations and other factors, the setting of the wood-cutting machine “s” from 25 millimeters. To check that the machine is cutting the boards to the correct thickness, you select at random three samples of four boards and find the mean thickness (in millimeters) of each sample. A coworker asks you why you take three samples of size 4 and the mean instead of randomly choosing and measuring 12 boards individually to check on the machine’s setting. (Note: Both samples are chosen without replacement.)

Exercises
    1. Sampling Individuals
    You select on board and measure its thickness. Assume the machine shifts and is cutting boards with a mean thickness of 2534 millimeters and a stand deviation of 0.2 millimeter.
    (a) What is the probability that you select a board that is not outside the acceptable range (in other words, you do not detect that the machine has shifted)? (See figure.)
    (b) You randomly select 12 boards. What is the probability that you elect at least one board that is not outside the acceptable range?
    2. Sampling Groups of Four
    You select four boards and find their mean thickness. Assume the machine shifts and is cutting boards with a mean thickness of 25.4 millimeters and a standard deviation of 0.2 millimeter.
    (a) What is the probability that you select a sample of four boards that has a mean that is not outside the acceptable rang? (See figure.)
    (b) You randomly select three samples of four boards. What is the probability that you select at least one sample of four boards that has a mean that is not outside the acceptable range?
    (c) What is more sensitive to change – an individual measure or the mean?
    3. Writing an Explanation
    Wire a paragraph to your coworker explaining why you take three samples of size 4 and find the mean of each sample instead of randomly choosing and measuring 12 boards individually to check the machine’s settings.
    hellokitty1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 10:36 PM

Can anybody please asnwer these questions?! PLEASEEEE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is this real? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello.. I never graduated from high school I got kicked out my last year and so on. I found this place online that says instead of a ged I can get a diploma online Is this legal and is this legit? http://www.careerlearningcourses.com

Is this real? [ 5 Answers ]

Data Entry Made Easy! Also where can I go to find out which of these work at home online things are legit? It would be nice for making a bit of money on the side.

Help Are they real [ 6 Answers ]

Are psychics really real? I mean I know people who think they are and people who think they are'nt and I just don't really know who to listen to

Is he for real [ 2 Answers ]

I'm married but I recently met a guy- also unhappily married.I never let him know that I was not happy with my husband. He pursued me and called my cellular fone and left messages. We also saw each other to talk. In short, we had a physical relationship for only 1 time. He was kind and considerate...

View more questions Search