Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blueyes77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Oct 1, 2007, 11:26 PM
    Chronic pain and depression
    I suffer from chronic pain depression. It seems to be getting worse as I age. I am on all kinds of meds... but nothing seems to help me. I don't know where to turn for relief. Does anyone have any suggestions.:(
    propst3 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Oct 2, 2007, 01:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueyes77
    I suffer from chronic pain depression. It seems to be getting worse as I age. I am on all kinds of meds...but nothing seems to help me. I don't know where to turn for relief. Does anyone have any suggestions.:(
    You need a good pain management person 1st and methadose is a great pain med with no heady side effects then you must have a good support system go for conseling and join a local pain group to talk with others who have the same experiences you have it gives you that sense you are not alone in your pain it helps greatly
    brookeleigh Posts: 119, Reputation: 4

Oct 9, 2007, 01:03 AM
    The good news is that there are medications available that treat both depression and chronic pain. Certain medications traditionally used for depression also have a significant effect on decreasing chronic pain. This association has been tested in individuals who suffer from chronic pain without depression; when these patients are asked to fill out rating scales that describe the intensity of their chronic pain, those patients who are given antidepressants rate their pain as significantly decreased. But these medications are prescribed by your doctor and can have side effects. Consult with your doctor about what would be best for you.

The antidepressant medications that have been successfully used to decrease chronic pain include:

Tricyclic antidepressants
    Amitryptiline (Elavil)
    Desiprimaine (Norpramin)
    Imipramine (Tofranil)
    Doxepin (Sinequan)
    Nortiptyline (Pamelor)
    Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
    Fluoxetine (Prozac)
    Sertraline (Zoloft)
    Paroxetine (Paxil)
    Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
    Citalopram (Celexa)
    BlueMoon777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
    I suffer from chronic pain depression. It seems to be getting worse as I age. I am on all kinds of meds...but nothing seems to help me. I don't know where to turn for relief. Does anyone have any suggestions.:(
    I agree with propst3 as for the pain management person. I'm not sure what kind of pain you're having but you probably need to see your physician. Your physician can possible refer you to a pain management clinic. I think they will help you with the depression as well. Chronic Pain causes depression in many people and we all musf
    BlueMoon777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
    I agree with propst3 as for the pain management person. I'm not sure what kind of pain you're having but you probably need to see your physician. Your physician can possible refer you to a pain management clinic. I think they will help you with the depression as well. Chronic Pain causes depression in many people.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Try Salvia Divinorum. I has worked wonders for me. I have the same symptoms that you described.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between chronic pain and fibromyalgia [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering if any one could help? What is the difference between chronic pain syndrome and fibromyalgia? My doctor says I have chronic pain syndrome and I was just wondering what the difference is because I have a lot of the symptoms that are on the fibro... site

Chronic PAIN! [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I've had chronic pain that begain in my arms and shoulders it was horrific pain. Later I had what felt like pressure in my lower right side back. Well this turned into stabbing ungodly pain that had me shaking it was soooooooo bad. I WAS BED RIDDEN FOR 2YRS with pain in my back that felt like I...

Chronic Headaches [ 1 Answers ]

What do you suggest to help a teenager who has a headache all the time, she is 17 now and has had headaches since puberty. Some times they are severe and other days milder but they are ALWAYS there.

Chronic nightmares [ 24 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) 8 years ago, after witnessing a shooting in my family. I used to have very dehabilitating symptoms and wasn't able to go to school or work, but after years of intensive treatments I've improved dramatically. However, I still have constant,...

View more questions Search