Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GAMMA729 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2007, 07:56 PM
    What is the diferrence between GAY or STRAIGHT
    This may sound odd or strange to others- My question above is all about the way straight people judge gay people. I have asked and asked , taken notes and have analyzed allot about this. Can some one tell me anything different from what everyone else thinks. Thanks:cool:
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Oct 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
    I don't have any idea what others think, however, I couldn't care less about someone's persuasion. I don't think anything. If someone is gay, fine with me.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Not all straight people judge gay people. My belief is, no matter what your sexual orientation is, you are human just like everyone else. No one deserves to be judged based on their preferences, sexual or otherwise.
    GAMMA729 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Thanks for the answer
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 08:26 PM
    You're very welcome :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 08:34 PM
    I learned in Human Sexuality that people are born in a continum of sexual preference from pure straight to pure gay and bi in the middle. Some may require sexual reassignment surgery. Gay and Straight are too black and white. Also your chromosomes and your external appearance can be different. You can be born with both sets of external organs.
    It's not that simple.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 1, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMMA729
    This may sound odd or strange to others- My question above is all about the way straight people judge gay people. I have asked and asked , taken notes and have analyzed allot about this. Can some one tell me anything different from what everyone else thinks. Thanks:cool:
    Yeah and the way gay people think that all straight people judge them.

Really, I judge everybody, I'm human. Tall / short, fat / skinny , goodlooking / ugly , by the color of their skin, their religion or lack of it, by the clothes they wear, how old they appear, their accent, the content or lack of in their speech, if they smell, smoke or have teeth, by the vehicle they drive, what party they vote for, by their sexual orientation... whatever... equal opportunity for all...

Hope this helps
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Oct 1, 2007, 11:12 PM
    I think one thing that differentiates gay men and straight men is their views on sex. Gay men are far more casual about sex than straight men. Also, there is a level of mutual respect in the gay dating scene while I have witnessed (keep in mind that this is anecdotal evidence) that straight men are very disrespectful to women. What I mean by that is that many straight men act like they've accomplished something when they have sex, as though they've out-foxed a woman.

To KeepItSimple: sexual orientation and gender identity are separate variables. The gay-straight continuum has nothing to do with gender reassignment surgery.

Unless you support full marriage and family rights for GLBT persons, inthebox, you do unfairly judge our community. That's just the way it is. I welcome your best effort to prove me wrong about the majority of the straight community (I mean actions in the straight community, not a fight between you and me).
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 05:19 AM
    I for one don't care what Gay people do in private. As a straight person I only object when you have those that feel the need to throw their "gayness" in your face. And to be clear on my sensitivity on that topic that I do not believe the vast majority of gay people engage in that behavior.

I for one very strongly disagree on gay marriage. Just as I disagree with polygamy.

Oct 2, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Smoothy, your dislike of gay marriage is irrational and uneducated. I don't want to argue with you again, but I think you need to reevaluate your views here. What is it that scares you about gay marriage? What harm could it possibly do? Please support your answers with fact, because saying that it's a "moral" disagreement doesn't cut it. That will just open up more questions: who says it's immoral? Why should we honor that moral judgement but not that which supports marriage equality? Etc.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Do we need to go into this yet again... You are not going to change my mind on this issue for a variety of reasons, And I'm not alone in thinking that way. Do whatever you want in private but making a mockery of the institution of marriage isn't going to win anyone's hearts.

And yeah, there are more than enough straight people that do that. The current poster child being Britney Spears.

Oct 2, 2007, 08:34 AM
    I just think it's necessary to explain yourself when you have an illogical, possibly hateful opinion. I don't care if I change your mind. I just want you to actually think about why you have this opinion and have it scrutinized by others

As far as making a mockery of marriage, what the hell? How is two people who love each other getting married a mockery of the institution of marriage? You really don't have a leg to stand on here unless you explain your comments.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Really, you have less justification to that than the Islamic community demanding we invoke Sharia forcing everyone else to accept it because that's what they want.

Marriage is, always was, and always should be a union between a man and a woman. Period end of story.

I don't support NMBLA just because they think they should be able to do it, I don't support Incest, Polygamy or Bestiality either for the very same reasons.

Its not moral, its not acceptable and its not sanctioned by the church, and the fact it's a mockery of the institution or marriage. And To be clear on that I think divorce should be far harder to get as well. Then people like Brittany Spears and other people into serial marriages might take it a bit more seriously as well.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 09:17 AM
    For right now, this is a discussion about the differences between being gay and being straight.

If it degenerates into a discussion about gay marriage, I will close this thread.

Please take THAT issue to member discussions, as it has nothing to do with answering the current question.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 09:21 AM
    As others have stated I really do not judge someone on being gay or straight. As long as a relationship is between two consenting adults its really no ones business.

Oct 2, 2007, 09:33 AM
    I didn't realize that raping children or animals was the same as two adults of the same sex in a committed relationship wanting the legal rights of opposite sex couples. Also, I'm 100% certain that gay sex doesn't lead to inbred offspring who have a high risk of genetic disorders and mental retardation. Oh well, I guess it's because I look at facts not story books.

Your argument that marriage always was, is, and should be between opposite sex couples isn't very strong. Marriage, just like everything else, is dynamic. Polygamy, for example, has been very common throughout history and is still common in several areas of the world. Who says marriage always should be between one man and one woman? You? Who made you the boss?

Because gay marriage is unharmful, there is no good reason to prevent it. Once again, I ask that you tell me how gay marriage will harm society. Are your beliefs based on research or prejudice?

Oct 2, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Sorry, I didn't read synnen's post before I posted. I would like to say that this is a logical progression of the conversation. The OP's question dealt with more than behavioral differences, and I think a conversation between a gay man for gay marriage and a straight man against gay marriage can highlight many issues from equality, to uses of scientific inquiry in regards to sex.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 09:38 AM
    You don't grasp what Synnen said do you?
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Its simple... The majority has an opinion on morality... what you advocate is immoral as the other immoral acts I stated. One is not better than the other because its your agenda to push.

Straight people do very much judge people with that sort of attitude because most people find it highly offensive on moral as well as other grounds.

However as it applies to the gay people who don't insist on forcing immorality down others throats your average straight person would judge them on their actions and behavior just as anyone else is judged.

I will no sooner accept that agenda than I would accept Sharia forced upon me in this country.

In short... if you want accepted by straight people conform to the standards of public behavior of that community, deviate from that just as any other group (religious or otherwise) has found and there is a price to pay.

Behind closed doors most people don't care what you do within reason... but in public you are judged as anyone else is by your appearance and behavior.

Present yourself as an average Joe... very few people will persecute you (there are always a few, on either side that tend to be extremists), however run around in leather chaps and a pink TuTu with an exaggerated lilt to your voice and you suddenly find most people start thinking about lynching, most however will just treat you like you have a contagious disease rather than act out on their thoughts.

But mostly the difference between gay and straight is which gender you chose to partner with. How you present yourself in public is how you are viewed. The two are not related unless you chose to make them so.

I'll say that the differences will vary as much between people in either group as that you can't make blanket assumptions on either group. Every person will have their own ideas. Some chose, others feel its natural to them. Same as why some guys like Asians, others like blonde's.

Oct 2, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Once again you fail to answer my questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can a gay guy be straight again? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm just wondering if a gay guy can become straight again? Reason being because I have this male friend who is almost like my diary, I tell him everything all my life. We are always like together even people tell us we wold make a cute couple and stuff. Also he eve told me before that if he was...

I'm gay - he's straight, is a relationship possible? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm a straight acting, masculine gay man. I'm not in a relationship, and live a totally straight life. There is someone that I've known for more than 6 years at work. We've always been good friends, gotten along. In the past few months, the friendship has turn into what I'm positive is...

Straight or gay? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and ia

Can a gay guy go straight [ 47 Answers ]

I just want to know how possible it is for a gay guy to go straight because I have this friend who is actually my best friend and we both go way back from school and now we work together... we do practically everything together; work, party, gym, tennis, you name it, except sleep together. He has...

How do I know gay from straight? [ 14 Answers ]

Need some advice from the gay dudes; How do you let someone know that your interested in them? Here's a little back ground; I'm from Kentucky, not many gay scenes in the area I live in. Probably wouldn't go even if there was, just not my thing. But I would love to meet someone. Everywhere I...

View more questions Search