Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xunsinkablex Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Oct 1, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Books with existentialist concepts
    This might seem a little weird and hard for me to explain, but bear with me, haha. I was checking out movies and books with philosophical concepts, and I came across a list with existentialist concepts. I realized that I've seen/read, and enjoyed, most of the stuff on the list. Problem is, I really don't know anything about existentialism. I've read books Crime And Punishment by Dostoevsky and Fight Club by Palahniuk already. What I'm looking for now, though, is more of an... introduction? To existentialism that basically explains what the theories/beliefs and basics of existentialism are.
    I'd also like some more recommendations for books that use the theme of existentialism the way that Crime And Punishment, Fight Club, etc do (in a fictional but.. prominent way).

One more question. I'm looking for basically any deep/philosophical books that really make you think when you read them. I think I've been into the philosophical side of things lately, and this would be a big help :) Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2007, 02:39 PM
    This is an easy one.

Go to your local public (or school) library. Talk with a reference librarian. He/She will show you the philosophy section and help you choose some basic books on existentialism and philosophy in general. That same person should be able to help you with your "philosophical themes (esp. existentialism) in literature" question.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 1, 2007, 02:40 PM
    One of my favorite books and the one I'm currently rereading is Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot. He talks much about humans, or planet and our history.
    Here's a teaser video:
    YouTube - Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot
    This is classic Sagan narration.
    GeniusfromGeniusHell Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Oct 7, 2007, 08:24 PM
    For fiction, Notes from Underground (Dostoevsky)is a seminal existentialist work. Actually it is considered by many to be a milestone in existentialist literature.

The play Waiting for Godot, is another.

As far as non-fiction, I recommend Irrational Man, by William Barret. It's good intro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting:concepts and application [ 2 Answers ]

the company has a variable cost ratio of 65% and monthly fixed costs of $91000. What is the company's break even point in terms of sale dollars

Cashflow statements concepts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, need help in clearing my doubts on some of the following accounting concepts: q1) Why an investor would be interested in analyzing the cash flow statement ? q2) Some investors does not believe in ratio analysis because they thinks That it is not foolproof. What are the some...

Accounting Concepts [ 5 Answers ]

Define the concept of matching revenues and expenses.

Probability Concepts [ 1 Answers ]

John and Jane are married. The probability that John watches a certain television show is .4. The probability that Jane watches the show is .5. The probability that John watches the show, given that Jane does is .7. a. Find the probability that both John and Jane watch the show. b. Find...

Computer network concepts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I want to know about computer network concept and principle Bus,star,. configuration ,network devices router,hub,modem,. Please introduce me well papers or send them me. Thanks a lot

View more questions Search