Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a23411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2005, 06:18 PM
    Pipe diameter = poor water pressure?
    My apartment has low pressure, especially in the shower. It's a loft building in NYC and my unit was renovated in 1985. Others in the building claim to have no issues with pressure.

I'm re-doing one bath and the walls have been removed. While the pipes running to the shower area are large, the copper piping running directly into the handle and then from the handle to the showerhead is 5/8" which looks thin. Could this be the reason my pressure is poor? I know all about the flow restrictors in showerheads but even with the head removed the water flow is very low. Would replacing these pipes with thicker ones help? What is the standard in pipe diamter?

Thanks,
    Scott
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2005, 06:30 PM
    Don't worry the copper going to your shower mixing valve is of standard size (1/2"). Maybe the galvanized plumbing in your apartment is so badly corroded that it has constricted the flow?
    Also what time are you trying to take a shower? Is it at a peak time when others in the building are showering/bathing as well? It could be a design flaw in the plumbing system leaving you last on the water supply lines in the building and with the short end of the stick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poor pressure in my kitchen faucet, too [ 7 Answers ]

I think that the pressure in my whole house is "challenged"--not terrible, but not as good as I'd like. The kitchen faucet pressure is really poor and I suspect there is some kind of "water saving" something somewhere in the faucet. I have removed and cleaned the aerating section and cleaned the...

Poor water pressure in new shower [ 3 Answers ]

We recently underwent a renovation of existing second floor bathroom. The shower has a main head and a second hand held. The pressure is so low that the handheld doesn't work. The main head is also very low. We have a sink and jacuzzi in the same MBR and a second bathroom very close by that all...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

Poor Water Pressure throughout House - Regulator Valve may need adjusting? [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing poor water pressure. We have lived in the house for about 2 years and have never had great water pressure. I noticed what seems to be a regulator valve of sorts on the main line coming into the house (see picture) and was wondering if I can adjust this valve to increase the...

No water pressure after pipe replaced [ 1 Answers ]

Hi--we had a leak in a hot water pipe in our basement--after the pipe was replaced we have lost our hot water pressure. The pipe is more narrow than the pipe that was originally there, could that be the problem?

View more questions Search