Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 08:08 PM
    Water in my basement
    I get water in my basement after real bad storms. I have increased the pitch around the house the best I can but unfortuneatly do to poor building design I wasn't left with much room to work with. The water lays in front probably 6 feet in front of the house and pools over walkway and starts toward the house . I have french drains that are flowing . Is there anything I can do? Check french drains? Without major excavation? Is the water coming in from outside or is this water pushing through the seem between walls and slab? It does come from under the toilet and around radon mitigation system, also. Please someone help! :eek:
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2005, 06:47 AM
    French Drains...
    I had the same problem at my parents house and also at my in-laws house. We put in the french drains like you said, but we also installed drain openings every 4 - 8 feet. The french drain is nice and works, but if the storm is really intense, the water will pool above the soil since it is already saturated. Having the drain openings gives the water a direct route away from your house.

Also make sure the pitch of your pipes is good enough to channel the water away otherwise the water will just sit in your pipes.

You could also install a sump pump in your basement to prevent flooding. I never installed one, but we have them in both houses and you can hear it working when it rains hard.

Good Luck!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 08:19 AM
    Harley gave you a dynamite answer. Especially the part about installing a sump pump in your basement. I recommend that you do just that. In the future you might get a faster answer to plumbing questions if you posted over on the plumbing page. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water entering basement from one corner [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 80 year old house, and have lived here 28 years. We have never had water in the basement (other than when the sewer cleanout needed cabling). Suddenly we have water (flowing the last 3 days!). No leaky pipes, no backed up drains. Before we knew the water was still coming in we had the...

Water in basement [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is considered a home maintenance or plumbing problem, but I have an 80 year old house, and have lived here 28 years. We have never had water in the basement (other than when the sewer cleanout needed cabling). Suddenly we have water (flowing the last 3 days!). No leaky...

Water in basement 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, basic water on basement floor. Water is sweating/seaping from the bottom of the central air unit. The unit is mounted for vertical blow threw. Drain has been checked and cleared. The unit has a lot of condensation. Drain pan is along the circumference of the heat exchangers, allowing...

Water in basement [ 3 Answers ]

I found water in the basement, around the furnace. The air conditioner has been running for about 6 hours -- it is HOT outside too (about 90 degrees). Any suggestions as to why this happened and what can be done to remedy the problem?

Puddle of water in basement [ 5 Answers ]

For about the past year or so, we've occasionally noticed a small puddle of water on the floor of the unfinished side of our basement near where the pipes exit the basement walls and enter the septic system. The water doesn't smell of sewage. There are two pipes that enter the wall at this...

View more questions Search