Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 04:44 PM
    3way or 4 way switches?
    I live in an old 3 decker that was recently rehab'ed and turned into condo's.

There is a main stair way that runs up to serve the second and third floors. On each floor (main, 2nd, third) there is a light switch that when turned on, will turn on a hallway light on each floor.

We want to replace these switches with motion sensing switches - both for safety and convenience.

I'm no electrical engineer - can someone tell me if we need three way or four way switches?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2005, 05:22 PM
    Where you have 3 different switches controlling one load, they are called 4 way switches and have 4 contacts on them. I don't know if it will be easy to find 4 way motion control switches.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2005, 09:01 PM
    Actually this would be a 4-way system. However, the end switches would be 3-way switches with a 4 -way switch sandwiched between them. I wish I could help you but I have never seen anything but a single pole occupancy sensor switch. Another option would be to put another series of lights, possibly small unobtrusive ones, and use a mounted motion unit to operate them. One could add an override switch for them at whatever location they like.

Edit----

On further reading of your post... If the switch at each landing controls just that floors hallway fixture... then all you have to do is buy 3 switches. They do cost about 40 bucks eack but seem like they would do what you want. Leviton makes ones that should be available at any home improvement store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switches [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a strange one. I am visiting my father, and he recently replaced an outlet in one bedroom and now the light switch no longer works. He didn't touch the switch at all. Here is the really odd part... now the same problem is in the adjoining bedroom. However, they are on different...

How to join two 3-way switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have a balcony with overhead lights between two 3-way switches. I also have another 3-way switch that operates lights to the stairs. Presently there are two switches side-by-side that operate the balcony lights and the stair lights. Question: Is it possible to join theses two switches...

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

3 way switches [ 2 Answers ]

I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any...

Switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lite at the top of the stairs with one switch for it at the top. I want to and a secong switch at the bottom of the stairs. I believe the incoming power it at the switch (top of stairs) How do I add a second swich to control lite?

View more questions Search