Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishpat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Connecting old TV, vcr, and dvd/vcr combo
    I have an old TV with just a coax connector. I have a Zenith VCR and a Go Video dvd/vcr combo. I currently have them set up with an RF mod. Which lets me use the stand alone vcr and the dvd part of the dvd/vcr combo.

However, the way I now have this set up, I cannot use the vcr part of the dvd/vcr combo. It will not let me record or move through channels on the dvd/vcr combo.

I am wondering if I could use a 2 way splitter? Have the coax cable hooked to TV, then, to the 2 way splitter, then, one end of splitter would go to rf mod. And other end to stand alone vcr. Then, hook another coax cable from rf mod. To dvd/vcr combo. Then, the red, yellow, and white RCA cable from dvd/vcr combo to RF mod.

Does this make any sense? Now, I have it set up the way the guy at Radio Shack told me to do it and the stand alone vcr, TV, and dvd part of the combo work fine but the vcr part of the combo is not working as it should. When I try to use it, it gets one station and that is it.

Thks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Is combo able to switch between DVD and VCR?
    What is the one channel? 3?
    Are you wanting to record VCR to VCR, or DVD to VCR, and do you have cable or sat?

Sep 30, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Yes, I can switch between dvd and vcr but I only get one station through vcr-the one that is on the TV-channel 3. I don't want to record vcr to vcr or dvd to vcr-I only want to record on both vcr's from the TV-like record ABC on one VCR and NBC on the other VCR.

I have cable.

Thks
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 11:29 AM
    You will need a 2 way splitter, Stand alone VCR should not need a modulator, and usually have a built in tuner,
    Your DVD/VCR if it won't record TV channel, Then a cable converter before it may work.
    If you did Autoprogramming from cable converter, then maybe only channel 3 programmed. Check to see if you can manually change/enter adittional channels.
    TV is at the end of the line, the inputs need to have separate source of frequencies(channels)2 Cable boxes?

Oct 1, 2007, 06:20 AM
    I tried to add channels to the dvd/vcr combo and it let me but on line 1, it still only shows one channel-the one that is on the TV. I don't have a cable box.

So, if I get the 2 way splitter, I will try to hook it up as I described above and hope that will work. Both vcr and dvd/vcr combo have tuners. But when I set dvd/vcr to tuner, I still only get the one channel. When I try to run through channels, it just shows a blue screen. I think it is because I do not have any cable running into that dvd/vcr so, hopefully, the 2 way splitter will allow me to get a cable hooked into the dvd/vcr ant. In and then, I should get all of the channels? I hope.

Thks for your help.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 07:04 AM
    I think you about got it. You may need an A/B switch so TV can choose VCR output or
    All the channels. If for some reason you need a converter, Radio shack or electronics stores sell cable converters, and you may want to get one with stereo outputs so you can hook up to amp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD/VCR recorder combo units [ 1 Answers ]

Hello anyone, I am looking to buy a combo unit as described above. I have looked in stores and on line. I am confused by the information about analog vs digital output. What do I need to look for when buying a unit so it will work when the TV stations do away with analog. I want to buy a unit...

VCR/DVD Combo, DVD Recorder hookup to Satellite TV [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hookup a VCR/DVD combo and a DVD Recorder to my TV. I have satellite TV, but the satellite receiver is not connected to the same TV. I have read and reread all four books and can not figure it out. I want to be able to record from the television to both the VCR and the DVD...

Connection from dvd/vcr combo to my amplifer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a combo dvd /vcr and how do I connect wires to amfiler to get sounds I have received picture on TV, help

Connecting cable TV, dvd and vcr [ 1 Answers ]

I have cable TV coming into the house. Want to hook up a DVD player and a VCR to the TV with cable, howis this done.

How do I connect a combo dvd/vcr to a dish network satellite dvr/tv? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a combo dvd/vcr to a dish network satellite dvr/tv?

View more questions Search