Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reecey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 01:35 PM
    Central AC won't come on following home inspection
    I'm in the process of selling my house and a home inspection was just performed. Supposedly everything went okay and no problems with heating/ac were noted on the report. However, when I got back in town, the house was warm. The AC wouldn't come on when I adjusted the thermostat (on auto or on position). I checked the breaker box and the breaker was on. I'm wondering if the inspector could have tripped something or turned something off and forgot to turn it back on. I've never had problems with the system. It was serviced last year for general maintenance and found to be in good working order. Any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2005, 05:41 PM
    For the A/C to work, the following must be on, the breaker for the furnace, the breaker for the A/C, the outside disconnect at the compressor, and any switch at the furnace. Breakers can look all right, and still be off. Turn them both clear to off, and then back on.

The blower in the furnace and the compressor are operated by relays. If neither runs, chances are you have a problem with the low voltage, perhaps a fuse on the control board.

Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Oct 11, 2005, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    For the A/C to work, the following must be on, the breaker for the furnace, the breaker for the A/C, the outside disconnect at the compressor, and any switch at the furnace. Breakers can look all right, and still be off. Turn them both clear to off, and then back on.

The blower in the furnace and the compressor are operated by relays. If neither runs, chances are you have a problem with the low voltage, perhaps a fuse on the control board.

Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.
    also check... the filter cover (door) it may not run if not properly close

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold Problem Found After Inspection - can I get out? [ 2 Answers ]

I am due to settle on a new house in PA on 20th October. When we did the inspection, Several things were wrong, but after a fair bit of too-ing and fro-ing the Seller agreed to sort them out (radon, basement mold, termites etc). We got a Note through last week saying all this had been completed...

Drain pipe inspection [ 1 Answers ]

Had to get down there and noticed my trap is close to three feet from drain. Strainer. Pvc was extended away from this trap to middle of custom shower. In other words, shower drain pipe drops 6 inches into 2" pvc pipe that extends horizontally into original bathtub drain trap. It has worked...

Problem With Home Inspection... Advice, Please! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello group! I recently had a home inspection done on a home we are purchasing and certain issues came up that were unexpected during the inspection. These are not issues that warrant us not wanting to buy the home, but we would like to be compensated for the expenses of repairs and upgrades that...

Lennox air handler fan always on after inspection [ 1 Answers ]

I just had my HVAC system inspected by a local contractor and after he left today (friday) the air handler is constantly blowing, whether the thermostat has fan set on "auto" or "on". The hander is a Lennox CB30M-65-1P connected to a heat pump, Lennox HP26-060-9P. I also tested each system state...

View more questions Search