Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ARomero4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Spring Gun
    A spring-loaded toy gun is used to shoot a ball of mass m= 1.50\; \rm{kg} straight up in the air, as shown in the figure. View Figure The spring has spring constant k = 667\;\rm{N/m}. If the spring is compressed a distance of 25.0 centimeters from its equilibrium position y=0 and then released, the ball reaches a maximum height h_max (measured from the equilibrium position of the spring). There is no air resistance, and the ball never touches the inside of the gun. Assume that all movement occurs in a straight line up and down along the y axis.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
    I believe the question you copied wasn't complete. I believe it finishes:

Find the muzzle velocity of the ball (i.e. the velocity of the ball at the spring's equilibrium position y=0).
    We do not complete student's homework assignments. Instead, we point them in the right direction and answer questions that may be preventing them from completing their work.

I suggest you take a look at Calculating Muzzle Velocity via Wikipedia and try to figure this problem out before asking for help.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
    Actually I think the question is probaably to find h_max.

Here's a hint: use conservation of energy principles. When the spring is compressed a distance x it's potential energy is (1/2)kx^2, where x is the deflection of the spring from equilibrium. When it's released all that potential energy is converted to kinetic energy as the mass shoots upward. Then that kinetic energy is converted to potential energy against the earth's gravitational field as the mass climbs to its maximum height - that potential energy is equal to mgh. So set (1/2) kx^2 = mgh, and solve for h.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun for piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I got my cartilage pierced a year ago, with a gun, and it gets infected very often. I found information on the web about that it is dangerous to get your cartilage pierced with a gun. What do I do? Take it off? Go to the doctor?:confused:

Which gun [ 5 Answers ]

What gun would you suggest for a tourney player on a budget of around $500? I'm behind on the new markers since I couldn't play, do to injury. Anyway, I've of some and they are: E-PaintballOutlet RJR (Rat Jr.) Indian Creek Designs Bushmaster 2003 B2K Indian Creek Designs Bushmaster 2003 BKO...

How gun works [ 1 Answers ]

How does gun works?

Tub gun? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got off the phone with a tool rental guy. My tub is draining very slowly. I've tried plunging and a hand snake. Plunging does nothing and the hand snake seems to get stuck about 3 feet into the line. I do not see a drum anywhere. I called asking about an power auger and the guy...

Handmade Gun [ 0 Answers ]

I have a six shot revolver, a .455, that was handmade for a police officer, by an acquaintance during WWI. It has solid ivory hand grips, all of the interior parts are jewelled, and it has french inscriptions on the barrel and under the left grip. The inscriptions on the barrel are:Cercle De Tir De...

View more questions Search