Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justagirl74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 03:25 AM
    I want to know how long my cat had been dead before I found her
    ... I found her this morning. Last night when I went to bed she was alive. This morning at 9am I found her in a carport half a block down dead with blood coming out her nose and one eye. Her eyes where open and her legs were stiff. By the time I was ready to bury her (about and hour later) she was completely stiff. I live in a hot country. Can someone please tell me how long she may have been dead but the time it took the rigamortis to set in? Please I just need some closure:(
    Biggie Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Sep 30, 2007, 03:31 AM
    Well it would be hard to pinpoint an exact time, but from what you said, she died during the overnight hours. My cat lived to be 13 years and 3 days. It won't be easy for a while, but you hang in there.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 03:39 AM
    I am sorry for your loss, but I do not think you can pin point exact time.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Sorry for your loss.

http://www.thecatsite.com
    You might want to check this site.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 07:12 AM
    I read 12 + hours and faster depending on the heat. Sorry about your loss.
    olenatichenor Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justagirl74
    ...I found her this morning. last night when i went to bed she was alive. this morning at 9am i found her in a carport half a block down dead with blood coming out her nose and one eye. her eyes where open and her legs were stiff. by the time i was ready to bury her (about and hour later) she was completely stiff. i live in a hot country. can someone please tell me how long she may have been dead but the time it took the rigamortis to set in? please i just need some closure:(
    Sorry about the kitty, don't know about the time, but someone must have done it to her.
    Merry_Robin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 12:29 PM
    I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I found a website that might be helpful for you too. http://petloss.com/dealing.htm. I found there an article called "Dealing with the guilt". I feel guilt about finding my cat stiff with rigamortis and blame myself that I should have known sooner, I should have been there. I also found on the internet that a cat is so small, the rigamortis could take place as soon as two hours. Somehow that helps me, knowing that I did not neglect my cat all night long.
    pureocean113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Unfortunately it sounds as if your cat received a head trauma, most like by a car. The rigamortis sets in about 45 minutes to and hour afterwards, then he will gradually stiffen. I would say that you found your dear pet about an hour and a half after the incident. I hope that helps in your mind and gives you peace knowing that it was not a lone for long. God Bless and Good Luck.
    babytomcat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 02:15 PM
    I just found my cat this afternoon after being hit on the main road when we brought him home to be buried his eyes were still his colour if not a little blood shot but he was stiff when we found him when we buried him some 4 and a half hours later all his eyes had turned to white why is this and can this signify how long my poor baby had been dead for before I found him? If his eyes were still his colour would that mean it was a recent accident? I need peace of mind I'm so distraught as to how long he had been there and why nobody tried to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

I found my cat unable to move [ 8 Answers ]

I found my 14 year old cat 2 days ago lying on her side in an unnatural position. When I went up to her I realised she could not move. She would try to meow and that is it. I rushed her to the vet and he said her heart beat was slow and her pupils were fixed and dilated. He said there was...

Cat found in hot automobile [ 2 Answers ]

Have you ever went to your car, garage etc and found a cat locked inside? I have a van and my husband rolled the windows up in it last night. When I got in it at 1 p.m. today a cat came running to the door of it . It had been in there all night. Thankfully the van was parked under a tree and last...

Crazy Cat Lady - I found this interesting [ 31 Answers ]

I think this may be why I feel the need to shop:D so much... LOL! Can cats make you crazy? Parasite may be factor in mental illness By Tamara Ikenberg [email protected] The Courier-Journal

I found a cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, To begin with, I found a cat hiding on the top of my tire in my car. I don't want to bring it to the animal control because I'm afraid she has no owner and I don't want her to be put to sleep. So instead, I'm making fliers and posting them around. So anyway, the cat doesn't want to eat or...

View more questions Search