In junction box have

2 capped blacks
    2 single whites
    2 capped reds

How do I hook together?
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2005, 08:30 AM
    You need a voltage meter
    My guess it's that your black and reds are hot leads and the white is your neutral return line. Is there a wall switch that powers these lines?

If the Black and red both have power and you have a separate wall switch that controls the lamp and fan separately, I would connect the white to white, black to black and the blue to the red. This way, you can turn the fan and light on independently from the wall and not have to deal with the pull strings.

If there is no wall switch and both the red and black have power, then you can wire both the blue and black to the black and just leave the red alone.

Best bet is to get a voltage meter and test the lines so you know which one is the hot lead and which is neutral.

Good Luck and remember to turn off power to the lines from the breaker. Don't just do it from the wall switch.

Dave
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Two each of red, black, and white suggests 3 way switches or 2 switches for 2 different loads. Before you can wire things up correctly, you may need to figure out what you have.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 11:49 PM
    Good question. Is there

1. More than one set of switches controlling this fixture
    2. More than one fixture (including this one) being controlled by the same set of switches
    3. I am assuming there is a separate switch, or switches, for the fan and light

Another way to approach it: what was mounted to the junction box before, and how was it hooked up? What controlled it?

Here are some ceiling fan wiring instructions for once we figure out what your house has:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

Electrical hookup at switch with installing ceiling fan. [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed the ceiling fan with the light. I need to know what the correct color code connection is for the wall outlet. I have a switch for the fan and a switch for the lights. I also need to know the coding for the switch for the outlet on the other side of the room. How do I wire the...

Installing Ceiling Fan Wall Remote with Red & Black Wires? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Hampton Bay Wall Remote Control that transmits a signal to a receiver that I will install behind the Ceiling Fan assembly. Problem: Remote instructions state to connect the 2 Black wires from the wall switch to the new Remote switch. The wall switch has a Red and a...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Old-style ceiling box and ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. The present ceiling box (if you can even call it a box) is an very old-style cylindrical black hunk of metal with four holes for the wires and a hole in the center through which there is a 3/8" threaded metal rod which supports the "box". Obviously this...

View more questions Search