Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 11:54 AM
    Need More Air Blown
    Our older furnace/ac (10 years) works fine except that the blower doesn't force enough air upstairs resulting in a big temp difference and resulting thermostat wars. I read somewhere that one can install supplemental blowers in the duct work. True? Issues? The company who does my annual system check says I can't put a more powerful blower in the existing furnace, but of couse he wants to sell me a new furnace.
    After three years of surgery, chemo and radiation, we can't afford a new furnace.
    So bundle up upstairs, reduce our use of the system and carry a space heater around, or are there solutions? I'm pretty okay with wiring and handling small household problems, but I neeed to know my stuff before I start calling vendors or visiting the home supply store.

Can anyone advise me? Please?

Just Bundle up
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Oct 11, 2005, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkite
    Our older furnace/ac (10 years) works fine except that the blower doesn't force enough air upstairs resulting in a big temp difference and resulting thermostat wars. I read somewhere that one can install supplemental blowers in the duct work. True? Issues? The company who does my annual system check says I can't put a more powerful blower in the existing furnace, but of couse he wants to sell me a new furnace.
    After three years of surgery, chemo and radiation, we can't afford a new furnace.
    So bundle up upstairs, reduce our use of the system and carry a space heater around, or are there solutions? I'm pretty okay with wiring and handling small household problems, but I neeed to know my stuff before I start calling vendors or visiting the home supply store.

Can anyone advise me? Please?

Just Bundle up
    yes there are inline booster fans ( install inside duct)... you may want to check the fan to see if the contractor telling the true; most residential system's fan have multi speed
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 08:51 PM
    Several options here. Start by checking any of the duct work you can see. Check for dampers, breaks in the pipe and anything else that could be reducing the flow to the upstairs.

How new is the furnace? Do you have a fan only option or A/C which uses a higher blower speed? Is there a bundle of different colored wires running from a control board to the blower motor? If so, it could just be a matter of moving some jumper wires around on the board. If it is an old, belt driven blower, does it have an adjustable pulley? You might be able to put a bigger pulley on the motor without overloading it. If you have any of these possibilities, but do not want to tackle then yourself, perhaps you need to talk to a different HVAC contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown bulbs when switching on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: Having an odd problem w/ light bulbs blowing across 3 circuits with no dimming or brightening. When switch is flipped on, bulbs immediately fail, one actually made a small "pop" sound--6 in all in one week. Also had reverb on computer speakers. Basic Info: 80 year old house; all new...

3 amp fuse blown [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace that is blowing the 3 amp fuse for the secondary 24 Vac. I have replaced the fuse and after the heat is on for awhile the fuse will blow and then I have cool air blowing. Please advise on how to troubleshoot problem.Thanks

Blown gasket or blown cilynder [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... lets get down to it... I know nothing about cars... I am 17 and a girl and my dad know about as much about cars as I do. Well here's what's happened with my '97 saturn SL1 in the past few weeks. ~My oil light comes on... I tell my dad and he tells me to check it. My boyfriend and I check...

Constant blown altanators [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 83 Pontiac Recaro edition Firebird and it keeps blowing the altanator. I bought 3 this month. I charged the battery full before wiring it up, made sure the clock is correct, and it still fails after a day. Does anyone know what cause's this?

Blown head gasket [ 0 Answers ]

I have a geo prism with a blown head gasket. Is there any way I could fix it cheap, even if I jerry-rig it? Thanks. Ian

View more questions Search