Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troj Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 11:25 AM
    J-1 --> H-1B taxes (SS and Medicare)
    I get my H-1B visa last winter but after few mounths I notice that Payroll department did not deduct SS and Medicare from my wages.
    I talk to them and they started to deduct these taxes but after May 2005.
    Do I own SS and Medicare to IRS?
    DO I have to pay to my payroll dapartment dept. the difference?
    I did not pay SS and Med.care on about 15K.
    What is your advice?
    To go straight to the PAYROLL and explain them... or to wait next tax year and IF IRS sendme a letter for these taxes to pay them... but not earlier?

I was not very famylier with US taxation system before... :(

Thank you very much
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 10, 2005, 05:06 PM
    Troj:

It is your employer's responsibility to collect Social Security and Medicare taxes.

If they fail to do so (especially after you informed them that you were liable for these taxes), then the IRS will hold them responsible, not you. If you have informed your payroll department of the situation, then you have done all that you are legally required to do.

I recommend that you do nothing else unless the payroll comes back to you and asks for the back taxes.
    troj Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2005, 01:42 PM
    Too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Troj:

It is your employer's responsibility to collect Social Security and Medicare taxes.

If they fail to do so (especially after you informed them that you were liable for these taxes), then the IRS will hold them responsible, not you. If you have informed your payroll department of the situation, then you have done all that you are legally required to do.

I recommend that you do nothing else unless the payroll comes back to you and asks for the back taxes.

I told them that I am liable for SS and medicare after I undernstand that.
    Before that my Payroll asked me and I told them I do not have to pay SS and Medicare.
    So now... How to explain them the mistake?
    Is it their responsibelity?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 16, 2005, 10:03 AM
    Troj:

If you have notified them in writing that you believe you are liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes, you have met your legal responsibility. If they continue to fail to withhold these taxes, you have nothing to worry about.

Now, if you want to be safe, you can put aside the taxes (7.65% of your salary) and save it in the bank in case your employer comes back and ask for the money (they can do that until 15 Jan 2006).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question of F1 opt ss taxes & medicare deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I read the "Pub of F1 opt Social Security taxes & medicare deduction ". But for my case is: I have been USA for more than 5 years, but I hold F1 only for 2 years, J2 and H4 before. Do I qualify for F1 opt ss taxes & medicare deduction? Thanks

Refund of SS and Medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Expert, My SS and medicare taxes were withheld by my employee while I was doing optional practical training and my status was non-resident alien from Jan 1 2005 - Sep 30 2005. From Oct 1 onwards my visa status changed to H1B. That means I should be asking for refund of those withheld...

Medicare taxes during OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I entered on F1 in 1999 and started working at my current job in feb05 on OPT and my H1b which I recently got started on October 15, 05 Can I get the medicare taxes withheld from feb to oct 15? I haven't asked my employer this as I came to know of this recently. And I am also a bit...

F1 opt claim ssn and medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Country of origin: syria I have been in the US since August 2001 on F1 visa. Only left the US for 30 days in August 2002(been in the us since then).. Started my OPT on July 2004. Then started working for a company... Offcourse they deducted SSN, medicare taxes from my paychecks.. ...

View more questions Search