Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannon79 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 09:18 PM
    My 3 year old son will not listen to me!
    Hello,
    I have a 3 year old boy that will turn 4 in December, and he acts like he knows it all!:o
    He is starting to act very rude towards me and his father.
    He will not listen to a word we say to him.
    He will do things on spite,like when we tell him not to throw his toy's or not to hit his friends, he will look at us and do it anyway.
    We have tried to love him and correct him the best we know how to,but it seems like we are not doing enough or we are not doing the right thing.
    Please tell me what I can do to turn my little demon back into the little angel he use to be!
    Thanks,
    shannon79.:)
    vjenkins07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon79
    Hello,
    I have a 3 year old boy that will turn 4 in december, and he acts like he knows it all!:o
    he will do things on spite,like when we tell him not to throw his toy's or not to hit his friends, he will look at us and do it anyway.
    We have tried to love him and correct him the best we know how to,but it seems like we are not doing enough or we are not doing the right thing.
    please tell me what i can do to turn my little demon back into the little angel he use to be!
    thanks,
    It appears that he is a typical little boy. However you need to maybe take his toys away or just take total control. Have a time out!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 09:32 PM
    1) Choose a method of discipline.
    2) Be consistent with it.
    3) Never give meaningless threats -
    Meaning... never say you're going to punish and then not carry out the punishment.

Your son will not test you as often or act out as much if he knows his boundaries and the consequences that follow if the boundaries are crossed.

Good Luck.

Sep 29, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vjenkins07
    It appears that he is a typical little boy. However you need to maybe take his toys away or just take total control. Have a time out!

Thank you so much, I will try my best!! :eek: ;)
    shannon79

Sep 29, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    1) Choose a method of discipline.
    2) Be consistent with it.
    3) Never give meaningless threats -
    meaning... never say you're going to punish and then not carry out the punishment.

Your son will not test you as often or act out as much if he knows his boundaries and the consequences that follow if the boundaries are crossed.

Good Luck.

Yes I do believe I have been doing that!
    I'm guilty of not standing up to my word.
    Thank you very much!
    shannon79.;)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 05:31 PM
    In think my son was one of the first in a long line of kids that act this way. Back then they said it was bad parenting or being a single mom. But I swore it was something in the air or something. I tried every parenting technique and nothing worked. After awhile Oprah and other shows started having stories on out of control kids even from good two parent families. The one girls parents said they were scared to death to go to sleep at night because the two year old daughter would get kitchen knives and stab teddy bears.
    One thing I had to do was avoid watching the 'parenting experts' on the Today show because they always had pat answers on how to manage kids like there was one formula that worked for all kids and I knew better. I doubt they actually ever raised any themselves!
    I have since learned that often a lack of certain vitamins and nutrition that can trigger this.
    Some believe Omega 3 is essential for kids that act up. Also you could try passionflower or chamomile at bedtime. Also maybe try this vitamin it is suppose to be especially for kids that aren't so passive
    Swanson Health Products - Little Angels

Also if you plan on having more kids take the omega 3 and maternity vitamins I think that is part of the problem as well as my ex husband was a drug addict and I think that has a lot to do with it too.

Sep 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help... I just now ordered the vitamin!
    Hope it works!
    Godbless you.
    shannon79.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Use your creativity to come up with different ways to scold and to state rules and directions. Sing them or whisper them or do storytelling with him - he is the hero of the story. Kids that age are very inventive and clever, like to pretend, etc. so use that to your advantage.

Your public library has terrific parenting books to say more about this or give other ideas for this age group. Ask a librarian for help. He/she knows all the nooks and crannies.

Sep 30, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Thank you very much... I will keep you all posted on how I do with him.
    So far I have been putting him in time out and taking away a toy when he acts really bad,
    And I can see a small difference already.
    Now its time to get on his level.. thanks wondergirl!
    shannon79
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Rather than be punitive, be clever. He's getting to a fun age. I love 4 y/os - taught them for three years in preschool - best 3 years of my life with lots of hugs!
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Oct 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Sounds like a 3 or 4 year old boy to me. By age 7 or 8 he'll be on his way to more meaningful discoveries and by the time he's an adult he will be able to remember every detail of his childhood except for one thing, age 3 and 4.
    baseballmom14 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon79
    Hello,
    I have a 3 year old boy that will turn 4 in december, and he acts like he knows it all!:o
    he will do things on spite,like when we tell him not to throw his toy's or not to hit his friends, he will look at us and do it anyway.
    please tell me what i can do to turn my little demon back into the little angel he use to be!
    thanks,
    I've raised three boys. All kids (especially in today's world) are growing up fast INDEPENDENCE is starting early on in TODDLERS so the best soultion
    1. sit him down when he shows an action you disagree with
    2. take some time to always explain to him why he is in trouble and what he needs to do so that he won't have to go to time out. A minute per age, some people think 30 minutes in corner its best to remember to a small child a min. seems forever.
    3. always end with I love you and smmile and a great big love.
    Remember get control now or forever be confusion.
    Yes, I did learn the hard way with some of my decisions early on ! I hope this will help
    Small people are unique, I have a nephew that's almost three and he basically can caring on a conversation already, he's my little red headed temper, and he keeps me laughing, we let him express but we also depress when necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help with my 12 year old son [ 11 Answers ]

I am having a hard time with my son he is 12 years old and he is into a lot of trouble all the time. At school he is a bully and pushed the school to the point of sending him to the courts as an unruly kid if there is one more incident! I know he needs help and I want to get him help but I am on...

My 16 year old son seems to have given up [ 19 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old widow who lost her husband 7 months ago... my son is 16.. he is not dealing with it well.. doesnt want to go to school anymore.. wont seek help.. doesnt see his friends anymore.. stays in his room... I don't know what to do.. I have tried everything! Can someone give me some...

Changes in 20 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in need of some advice before I drive myself crazy. I have a 20 year old son. He is adopted and was my Nephew from my husband side. He was in 5th grade when he came to live with us. His biological parents were and still are heroin/crack/alcohol addicts. From the time he came to live...

My 18 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

I live in NC and I have a 18 yr old son who is a college student. He was dating a wonderful girl and she got pregnant. They told me right before Thanksgiving and although shocked we accepted it and wanted to do all we could for both of them. Before Christmas his girlfriend broke up with him and...

13 year old son [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I feel like we have gotten caught up in the new way of parenting teens. However, we want to go back and raise his son with the same values as we were both raised. We just don't want to go overboard and be too strict. Should a 13 year old be allowed to go to the movies, rodeo,...

View more questions Search